Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Is this for real?

"After contacting several retailers from various regions in North America, the responses were unanimous: the Xbox 360 is the least reliable gaming console in recent history," reports Daily Tech after polling several retailers on 360 failure rates including EB Games, GameStop, and Best Buy.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If it's true then I must be very lucky. My launch 360 still going strong and my core 360 is working perfect too. So either I'm the 2/3 or that percentage is wrong. Who knows ?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
You'll never get a straight answer from anybody.
Microsoft would be committing suicide if they acknowledged/admitted such a high defect rate.

We all know how much guff Sony got for DRE, which was way smaller than this defect rate.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I know this means nothing but I've got 6 friends (including me) with 360's, 2 of them failed - Thats 33% :D

Of course, one of them was mine so I'm bitter :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The 360 I was given was a launch model and it's still working. Surely thats an Achievement?
Apart from that every other 360 owner round here has got the Red Ring of Death at one point :eek:

Retired
May 16, 2006
Including myself, I don't know any 360 owners who haven't had to have their console repaired/replaced...

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
Hades
i've never had one go bad. cept when i dropped it once, but i should have expected that :D and no one i know has had one go bad.

Creeping-Death

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
Unlucky me, mine just messed up last week (It won't read any sort of disc anymore). Strangely, it did that the same day I bought my Wii, maybe it's some sort of allergic reaction!?

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
Hades
oh and btw, when it says "recent history" isn't that like 5, 10 years at the most? and thats like 1 or 2 game generations... if its just 1 generation, then that means its less reliable than the Wii and PS3... something has to be.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm on my second box and as well as people I know.....I've seen so much failures and stories about it. MS will never announce that the machine has a proplem...people were reporting that there refurbish machine has an extra heat sink in it to keep it cool which is fine by me but MS still twist it up to make it seem as if its just updating the system.

Bless

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I hope all of this bad news for the 360 will eventually get Microsoft to confess to the problems and do a recall or install the new heatsinks. A pipe dream, perhaps, but I wouldn't mind my 360 being more up to date than my retarded August 2006 model that could use a better disc drive.

I don't think I've personally met anybody with a broken 360, yet. Not that many of my friends have 360's, but I sometimes hang out at a gaming center here where they have 5 Xbox 360's and not a single one has been repaired or replaced. The place has been open since last spring. So, call me skeptical about broken 360's, but the Target warranty I got was affordable enough :)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I am on my 2nd 360 as my 1st began scratching and having problems reading disks. I have 3 friends who have had zero problems with theirs.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Seems like the design is fundamentally flawed - doesn't sound like a few new heat sinks will help much. One has to wonder if Microsoft's lack of hardware experience outside of the original Xbox, the Zune (which is just a retrofitted Toshiba model, and it shows), mice and keyboards is really hurting them here.

The last time I went through repair hell was with a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop - several motherboard replacements didn't help because the motherboard design was flawed from the very beginning.

stagecustom

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Ontario
i could believe that stat.. i just shipped off my third one. and i barely play it. maybe thats the problem! it always seems as though when i go to play it after a few months of not, it just doesn't work:eek: :mad:

hegor

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
I used to manage a Gamecrazy and I can tell you I've had a few graveyards of defective 360s in my backroom I've had to warranty out. The fun times are when the replacement 360 dies on the owner. Outside of games, performance, and online play the 360 by its own merits as an engineered consumer product is a turd.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
It's because of this that I'm scared to buy one-- still. I thought surely after this long they'd be working consistently. But nope.

I'll probably cave for Halo 3 around Christmas. All then a slew of other games I've been dying to play.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I must be very lucky.

I'm still on my first one that I recieved in December 2005.

Once in a while, though, I will get a "disc not readable" message ( Has happened maybe 6 times since I got it ) or on a very rare occation, the game would freeze (Happened maybe 3 times since I got it), but I've luckily never gotten the red ring of death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.