Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Hey folks, I will be doing a 360 mod over of the coming weeks. Originally it was going to be white, but instead I decided to a matte macbook mod.

I will be starting from a 360 premium.

Current plans:

Internalize HDD
Sound-proofing
Better fan
White LEDs (ROL already done, see my avatar)
Matte Black paint job

Now, for the Apple logos. At my job we have some G4s (Quicksilver, Blue, etc). I decided to remove the Apple gems from the sides. I have a ton of them... sooo... I am going to use those for Apple logos. So far the silver ones seem better as the Blue ones appear to be acutally blue plastic. Need to sand them a bit to know for sure as my current method isn't working on those.

I haven't decided exactly how I am goign to get them on, there will be a hole cut. And it will be lighted with white :)

I am playing around with one right now, I cleared it and am going to polish and play with ways to frost it for a nice look.

I will be documenting and taking pictures so others can do it. Hit me with suggestions too, I will try them out for if I can.

Current Pictures:
Apple Jewels!!!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/495401146_a97382fb52_b.jpg
Cleared Jewel (testing methods, all I have done is removed adhesive and used a brillo type pad to remove paint)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/495401158_8340e359df_b.jpg

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I'll be lookin' forward to see this.

Why not just buy an Elite? Isn't that matter black already?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
It is, but my xbox is out of warranty already and I got it for free from someone. It wouldnt play games, I replaced the laser and it works.

So I dont see much of a point in paying $480, when I already have a working 360 that I can have fun with. :D

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
The Apple jewels from the G4s are convex, I think I am going to try and get them flat so they will be flush with the casing, that way I won't have any issues with the box not sitting right when it is flat, it will look more like a typical Mac notebook too.

My plan is to cut a whole and mount the jewel to a frosted or clear piece of lexan, somehow getting it to sit in the hole perfectly.

It will take some work, but should turn out good if i take my time.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The sides of the 360 curve in don't they? Shouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
oh wow, how come i never though of this, this is soooooooooo cool.... great ide aand project, i feel like getting a 360 just to do this hahaha

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
The sides of the 360 curve in don't they? Shouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

Yeah, but the jewels will jut out quite a bit, plus I think it would look better if they were flush, if they can be. The 360 curves in the front, when it is flat the long edge has a curve. I am not sure if that will affect the jewel since I am putting it in the middle. I am going to have to experiment a bit. New cases are easy to come by and rather cheap if you look in the right places. But really once I cut the hole I can do whatever I want and play with the flat and convex jewels and see what works better.

I am going to have to use a body filler for some of the 360 text. As my cut won't take it all out. Vote: I use my 360 in the horizontal position. Should I put the Apple so that when you are looking at it from the front you see it as you should. Or, should I position as if i were using it vertical?

I would put my 360 vertical. But I don't want to deal with the disc problems.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Well after a very long time of sanding, both the jewel and my hand. I have pretty much got it flat. I need to hit the backside up a bit more with 220 grit and up to remove some deep ones.

Time for some pics:
Flattened and semi cleared jewel, note the scratches they are on the backside which I neglected :(
497460518_d298877d17.jpg

A stack comparison:
497456840_9869dd612f.jpg

Side by Side
497456810_b966591bb7.jpg

Top View
497456812_19b1bbfa55.jpg

The Mess!!!!!! :eek:
497456794_ec656a3bb9.jpg

It's now time for that tiny leaf....

I hope to do my cut tomorrow as well. :D Catch you back here tomorrow... well today now..

Current Thoughts
I was originally going to do both sides... I have decided against that because of the amount of work I just did on on jewel. I haven't decided what orientation to place to cut/jewel in. I am still thinking in a horizontal orientation. I also haven't decided how to frost this thing. The Apple one isn't frosted (need to double check that.) It seems as if there is just some white glossy paper underneath. I think keeping it flat and placing a translucent backing underneath is the way to go. then using a clear lexi to mount it. What do you think? That way, I could replace the paper to change up the color :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.