Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Hi all,

Dunno if this is the correct forum for this query, but basically i'm interested in getting a ACD for my bedroom, don't really watch TV, prefer DVD's which'll work fine on it via my mac, but the thing i'm not sure and will ultimatly be the deciding factor as to wether i get it or not is will my Xbox 360 work on it?

Now i don't mind if it means disconnecting the mac and connecting the Xbox to it due to there not being enough connections say, i basically just wanna know if it's possible?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes this was covered at the time the 360 first came out.

Basically you need a little break out box which converts the 360 output to DVI-Digital. But they are really quite expensive at around $300 or so....

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
If its an elite you might well be able to go from HDMI to DVi with a cable adapter, not tried it, but i don't see why it wouldn't work

No chance going from VGA though, at least nothing worth bothering with

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Buy the big 24" Dell instead.

Loads of inputs (Component and HDMI), better build quality, 3 year warranty and a pretty damn good image too.

Around £550, now, £140 cheaper than when i bought mine.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Probably a hard sell considering your nick name but there are much better options in terms of price, quality and inputs (many displays have component which will let you plug in your 360 just fine) than an ACD.

What size are you looking at? I can recommend something to you.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Buy the big 24" Dell instead.

Loads of inputs (Component and HDMI), better build quality, 3 year warranty and a pretty damn good image too.

Around £550, now, £140 cheaper than when i bought mine.

This is something that I would be interested in, too. Is this the one you're referring to? It mentions component, but no HDMI, so I'm not sure if this is a different model.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Whoops, made 2 errors, one bad one good.

Good, £90 cheaper than i though, £460 Overclockers.com,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-019-DE

Bad, no HDMI. But Component is as good anyway.

WARNING

This monitor has no speakers, you can buy a soundbar that fits smugly at the bottom, but your better off with a proper speaker system if your interested in console gaming.

edit, there a BenQ 24", your lose the component but gain HDMI - £470.

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
I bought a dirt cheap $180 20 inch acer lcd for my dorm room specifically for this purpose.

It has DVI and VGA inputs, so I can have both my MBP and 360 plugged in and the monitor displays whichever i turn on!

If you use the 360 VGA cable, then the 360 can display a whole range of different resolutions - I'm not sure if this holds true for the standard component cable.

All in all, the picture quality is really phenomenal. Gears looks amazing, so does Forza 2.

I also picked up a set of 5.1 logitech speakers for $59 and my setup is quite complete. Obviously doing this on a 30 inch ACD would be "cooler" but for the money, you could just go out and buy a significantly larger actual HDTV...

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Just a quick comment about the ADC bashing vs the Dell 24''. They are totaly different! The 24'' might be good enough for gaming and doing 'normal' stuff but the display quality is totaly different. The panel used for the ACD is much better color wise.

That being said, if you dont do anything that requires to be color accurate, go with the 24'', there is even a new model that is a rip off of the new iMac.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Just a quick comment about the ADC bashing vs the Dell 24''. They are totaly different! The 24'' might be good enough for gaming and doing 'normal' stuff but the display quality is totaly different. The panel used for the ACD is much better color wise.

That being said, if you dont do anything that requires to be color accurate, go with the 24'', there is even a new model that is a rip off of the new iMac.
I'd love to see your side by side comparison of facts to back this up. Especially considering the new HC versions came out of the 24" and 30" monitors, supporting 92% color gamut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.