Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I am going to get GTA 4 later this year because I have had all the old ones on PS2 and love them.

But I dont know if I should get Xbox 360 or PS3, Xbox is cheaper and will have downloadable content but I dont like microsoft.

Also if I got a 360 would it work ok with my mac? music, photos, downloadable videos from xbox live etc...

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
I don't know how well PS3 works with Mac, but Connect360 works great for 360/Mac (Movies, Music, Pictures).

It really depends on what games you want. For me, 360 has more of what I want. Essentially, best of both worlds. But MGS4 and FF13 are PS3 only, at least for the time being (and potentially forever). And if you want to buy into Blu-ray early, well... PS3 is the cheapest player around.

I'm more interested in some of the new stuff coming out, like Mass Effect, Too Human, etc. And online play is still top on 360.

I like the online features and library of 360, especially this year, and I've never had a problem with the hardware either. Being a fan of Halo, it was an easy choice for me.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
The 360 version will have downloadable episodes starting Spring 2008. That is the incentive to get the 360 one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
but I dont like microsoft....

? I still don't get this attitude. I dont like or dislike a company, that goes for Sony, Microsoft, Nike, Adidas, Apple, Benneton, Panasonic etc...

Sure I may dislike products they make, and I may dislike a lot of corporate attitudes, but hell that's the price we pay for living in a capatalist society.

Microsoft are no better or worse than the majority of the business world.

I use Apple computers - great for me. Does it suddenly mean I can't touch anything by any other company. No...

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
i'd also say 360 solely because the game is being released for both systems. it's been an observation of mine, that when games a made for PS3 and another system, the Development on PS3 suffers.

PS3 games will start to become amazing when they are exclusive releases; but because of the nuances of the cell processor, when multi-platform releases come out, PS3 always suffers from poor frame rates.

Not to say it will always be like this, but it will be for a while. Go Xbox 360 on this one.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Are we talking about just the game or the system and the game? If it is the system and the game, I'd say go PS3 then you can sell you PS2 (and some of the games you don't want) to help cover the cost of the PS3. Plus you'll be able to play all your PS2 games on the PS3.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I am going to go for the 360 version. I don't have a PS3 and don't plan on getting one less something crazy happens. The 360 Does everything I want it to do. Many other great games are comming to 360 as well. As a whole, i think that the 360 will be better in the long run.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
the downloadable content is really tempting me to the 360

i dont really play any off my old ps2 games and backwards compatibility isnt that good in the uk anyway so that doesnt bother me, but i do like the blue-ray

it looks like Xbox 360 elite is the one

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
I really want to play Halo 3 and GTA4 So I am kinda forced to go with 360.. PS3 is out of my budget anyway so :(

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
The 360 version will have downloadable episodes starting Spring 2008. That is the incentive to get the 360 one.

Yep- and downloadable content. Also, as another poster said, the 360 has Xbox Live- which is awesome for other games you might play online.

Then there's also Achievements.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
? I still don't get this attitude. I dont like or dislike a company, that goes for Sony, Microsoft, Nike, Adidas, Apple, Benneton, Panasonic etc...

Sure I may dislike products they make, and I may dislike a lot of corporate attitudes, but hell that's the price we pay for living in a capatalist society.

Microsoft are no better or worse than the majority of the business world.

I use Apple computers - great for me. Does it suddenly mean I can't touch anything by any other company. No...

encore!

my thoughts exactly! I dont get how some people can hate Microsoft completely and never want to buy any of their products, just because they had a poor experience with ONE of their many lines of products.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
GTA IV demo shown

Rockstar has a lot to prove, but today's Take 2 conference delivered something of a delightful surprise for attendees: 3 minutes or so of actual GTA IV gameplay, running on 360 hardware and looking every bit as cool as the initial trailers have suggested.

Despite the presenter's insistence that IV offers "progressive…changes to the series", what we saw offered only a glimpse of the most basic gameplay - driving mechanics and walking around - and it all looked very familiar. The demo started off with a black menu screen, which is likely a temporary version, as is much of the user interface. The menu listed, from left to right, 'map', 'game', 'brief', 'stats', 'controls', 'audio' and 'display'.

In an announcement that is sure to drive fans wild, the presenter confirmed that GTA IV's scope and scale is on par with San Andreas - but much more focussed and packed with detail. As the game kicked off legitimately, Niko Bellic (lead character) is in the middle of the mock-New York streets, in Times Square. The traffic and most other AI characters are turned off, so it's hauntingly empty. However, the lighting and atmosphere is undeniably hot - it's night time and the hours start to pass, drawing out the sun and showing off the HDR lighting, which is very realistic.

According to the presenter, the official period of the game is present day - stylistically, it's an evolution of the style in GTA III that tells an "American dream, rags-to-better-rags" story.

Niko smoothly enters a black Lincoln Continental-lookalike and suddenly GTA IV comes together. There is the familiar circular map in the bottom left of the screen, the similarly familiar numerical score listing in the top right of the screen and that's it. There are no other UI elements on-screen yet.

Niko begins to cruise down the streets - rows and rows of wonderfully detailed buildings, storefronts and high-risers - and the initial look is identical to previous games. The camera is fixed 15 feet behind the bar and a little above. Some 50s era jazz is playing softly in the background, over the car's radio.

About a minute and a half into the demo, the sun is starting to peek over the building tops, revealing the details at street level - trash cans, incidental objects and all manner of bottles, newspapers and more. The lack of traffic and people is a little disappointing - we're keen to see how the game deals with foot traffic and the new AI routines.

Niko rounds a corner and ends up at the docks, similar to the waterside locales in the trailers. The water effects are just stunning, and the HDR plays off of the surface very impressively. Niko stands around not doing much, just performing little passive animations like turning his head and looking around, moving his arms and things like that. When he moves, his animations are impressively smooth and transition well.

Niko initiates a mission with his cell-phone, though it's not clear what you press to bring out the phone. A little Sony-Ericsson knock-off pops up on the lower right of the screen and some dialogue text appeared at the base of the screen, as voice acting hasn't been implemented yet. We don't get to see how the conversation ends or what happens when you accept the mission. The demo is cut short and leaves us hungry and scandalised by the questions raised.

And that's that. The demo ends. That's kind of a mundane preview, we know, but that's exactly what they want us to think. Even something as simple and bland as driving is very, very cool.

Lastly, as the demo ended and the screen was paused, we got the shortest glimpse of the map for a split second and indeed it's a big game. It looked like two enormous islands linked at the middle, but the glimpse was so short that we could be wrong there. However, in line with the presenter's comments, we're expecting San Andreas scale here.

There are still a truckload of bugs to be worked out - the framerate is a little worrying, as is the pop-up. With just a few months of development time left, we're hoping what we were shown was just an early build; otherwise, Rockstar still has a lot of work to do in order to make the October release date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.