Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Game: Guns, Gore, & Cannolli

I am trying to use Xbox controller to play this game. Controller is connected to Mac. I can control the Steam with it in Big Picture Mode. When I launch the game its unresponsive.

I enabled controls in privacy settings [image1] [image2]

Steam settings: [image1] [image2]

What I see in game: [image]

please help

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
Nothing to do with your question but I tried Steam (for 1 hour) on my Apple Silicon, did not care too much for it. The interface was unintuitive and all over the place, showing me Windows titles everywhere even after customizing settings to only display Mac titles. Some titles worked, some didn't, some were 32 bit. Game that create icons don't integrate with macOS icons in Applications folder. The Steam app managed to crash 5x during use and while trying to close the program. Steam reminds me of Windows Vista.

Reactions: MacBH928

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Game that create icons don't integrate with macOS icons in Applications folder. The Steam app managed to crash 5x during use and while trying to close the program. Steam reminds me of Windows Vista.

To me, this is a bit of a strange complaint. I've never relied on Steam to place icons for games anywhere on my machines, whether a Mac or a Windows PC. If I'm going to play a game via Steam, I launch Steam and then the game.

As for the rest of your post, Apple deprecated 32-bit support years ago, so if developers never updated their games to 64-bit executables, that's a failing on their part, not on the part of either Steam or Apple. As far as the Steam client only showing Mac titles is concerned, I just click the Apple logo next to the search box in my game library to automatically filter out Windows-only titles.

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
Some Steam games place icons in the Applications folder of macOS.

I am fully aware of the depreciation of 32-bit. But the point I am trying to get a across is that the Steam interface needs cleaning up ie on Mac, I only wish to see titles, that will work with macOS.

If I am on Windows I want to see Windows titles.

If I am on Linux I want to see Linux titles.

In its current iteration, Windows games are displayed regardless of enabling the option only show macOS supported titles.

32-bit games are still displayed in the Steam app even though 32 bit apps and games are no longer supported on macOS.

As an end user I see it as Steam's responsibility to update their app and remove depreciated software.

You and I see it differently but then we can agree to disagree.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Some Steam games place icons in the Applications folder of macOS.

I am fully aware of the depreciation of 32-bit. But the point I am trying to get a across is that the Steam interface needs cleaning up ie on Mac, I only wish to see titles, that will work with macOS.

If I am on Windows I want to see Windows titles.

If I am on Linux I want to see Linux titles.

In its current iteration, Windows games are displayed regardless of enabling the option only show macOS supported titles.

32-bit games are still displayed in the Steam app even though 32 bit apps and games are no longer supported on macOS.

As an end user I see it as Steam's responsibility to update their app and remove depreciated software.

You and I see it differently but then we can agree to disagree.
In the store? What if you want to gift a friend that new non-Mac compatible game? Or buy a game to play on your Steam Deck or PC later?

In your library you can hide PC games by clicking on the Apple icon. 32 bit games are still there but it'd also probably confuse people wondering where their purchases went if they hid them.

Reactions: dmccloud
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.