Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I wanted to make a discussion thread about the Xbox One/Windows 10 game streaming feature that is now available. I wasn't sure where to put this (Console vs Other OS) but I think this forum is the most appropriate.

Of course, being a Mac forum we have two options: Running Windows 10 via boot camp, or a VM like Parallels.

My current setup is running windows 10 via Parallels. I had a windows 7 install via parallels previously, so I choose to upgrade that to Windows 10. I had an extra Windows 7 key that I was going to install via bootcamp to compare, but I had major problems getting windows 7 to install.

(Bootcamp errored making the partition, I ran a repair via Internet recovery on the hard drive, then after the second try bootcamp wouldn't ractually boot my genuine original dvd install media. I gave up, and tried to refer it but bootcamp failed on the deinstall, a 100 gig partition is now locked out on my hard drive.)

Anyway, I reverted to a parallels install, and even via VM, Xbox game streaming works great, even at the highest streaming setting. The audio & mic used the main system audio (parallels driver) and I was able to do party chat via streaming as well.

Both the Xbox one wired controller, and a wired Xbox 360 controller worked. I have an Xbox 360 wireless receiver, but I have not tried that yet. I have the controller connected directly to the windows 10 vm (under the devices menu in parallels). Once the controller is directly connected, you can also set the game audio to output via the controller under windows control panel, for headset & mic use.

The only issue was that I could not find a way to vary the level of game audio vs chat audio.

On the Xbox One, you use an official headset adapter to control the mix of audio sources, or if it is a brand new controller version, it has a built in 3.5 jack. You are suppose go into the settings (devices) menu, select the device and it should allow you to change the mix in the menu (according to a Xbox web page, I don't own the new controller version). I hooked up my headset adapter to the controller under windows 10, but the mix buttons did not work, I also went into devices & selected the virtual controller, but it did not show the mix setting either.

Other than that, even with the performance hit parallels takes, it worked great. I plan on using this new feature a bunch when my wife is watching something on the family TV.

I have done the streaming test several times from the Windiws 10 app. It fell all over the map, from three green check marks to 3 red x on the various speeds. The streaming worked fine, my guess it may get confused when switching back and fourth between windows and Mac while waiting for the test to conclude.

FYI, my current set up is my Xbox One hooked into an unmanaged switch, then into my airport time capsule AC with cat 6 Ethernet cables. My mac (2011 iMac) is attached via a cat 6 Ethernet cable into a Netgear router, which is set up to act as a 5g bridge only. It is showing an AC 3 x 3 (1300) connection with the time capsule.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We're you using a wired or wireless connection. I tried doing it in Parallels using WiFi but couldn't get the xbox app to see the console...

Nevermind re-read.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
We're you using a wired or wireless connection. I tried doing it in Parallels using WiFi but couldn't get the xbox app to see the console...

Nevermind re-read.

When I was setting it up, at first the Xbox didn't show up. I then realized there was an update on the Xbox console, once I installed the update I tried again, and the console was found by the windows app.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I can connect ok, but the streaming test over wifi comes back with 3 x's

My test has been all over the map (including 3 red x). The first time I just got low and medium green checks. I tried it anyway (at max settings) and it was good.

Later I reran the tests, one was 3 green checkmarks, another was three red x marks. Looking at the statistics page while I was streaming it, it needed around 6 to 8 Mbps (I think) on average.

My best guess is that the test itself may not be super accurate. I think playing with highest setting and dropping down if there is an issue (vs believing the test) might be the way to go. You can adjust the settings as you play to directly compare them.

As I said before, on my parallels install of Win 10, it is working great, almost as good as a direct hookup.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
When I was setting it up, at first the Xbox didn't show up. I then realized there was an update on the Xbox console, once I installed the update I tried again, and the console was found by the windows app.

I am on Windows insider preview for Xbox one so have very latest updates but still couldn't get it to work. To be honest I'm not overly bothered it would only have been out of curiosity to see how it works more than anything else :)

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Just to update. I managed to reinstall windows 7 via bootcamp, then upgrade to Windows 10. I then tested the performance under bootcamp vs parallels. I still got the three red x, but the streaming worked fine again. Basically I think the test is very broken, rather than the streaming itself.

I then tested the wireless xbox 360 adapter for windows, worked fine with the native drivers. The only issue is that you have no method to turn off the controller, you just have to wait for the auto shut off.

I then had a startup crashing issue with Windows 10 after a failed driver I put on, so I had to wipe the bootcamp partition out. Still, with the limited testing I have done it is good to know parallels vs native bootcamp made no difference I could tell to the performance of the Xbox one streaming.

Reactions: MRU

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I thought I would write a quick follow up. Since my original test, Microsoft has upgraded the Xbox app to allow a 1080p 60fps very high quality mode, and parallels has upgraded to version 11.

I also managed to install windows 10 boot camp (unsupported) on my 2011 iMac, to test parallels vs boot camp performance.

First of all, the streaming test is now working for me, I get all green check marks when testing in both parallels and boot camp.

The slight glitchness I experienced when testing the very high quality settings (previously you had to modify some files to get it to show) have become much better with the app updates Microsoft has released (and very high is officially supported now.) I still notice no difference between boot camp and parallels, even under the very high setting.

The parallels 11 upgrade has resolved a few weird windows screen glitches, nothing specific to the Xbox app, but I suspect that they did some fixes vs parallels 10's windows 10 support.

Overall, streaming is getting better, than even when windows 10 was released a couple of weeks ago.

Only downside, there is still no control between the chat/game sound mix.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Parallels 11 got my Xbox streaming to work. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's better than ps TV streaming my ps4....

malvicus

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
Oh this is the thread I was looking for. I was either going to wait for PS4 to come up with Remote play for Mac or dive right in with an Xbox one and my windows 10 parallels setup. Performance still good?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Oh this is the thread I was looking for. I was either going to wait for PS4 to come up with Remote play for Mac or dive right in with an Xbox one and my windows 10 parallels setup. Performance still good?

So far things have been good with my setup. I would think Sony will have an edge with game streaming using a native OS X app vs parallels with Windows 10, but who really knows until it is released.

My setup is a 2011 21.5 iMac, wired Xbox and using an ac wifi to Ethernet wireless bridge. (I also used the native n wifi, both worked fine.)

I would choose the system that has the games you most want to play, or have the most friends to play with. Halo & Gears is why I chose the Xbox (360 backwards compatibility being a nice bonus.)

Reactions: malvicus

malvicus

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
Yes! Thanks for responding. I'm coming from playing mostly world of warcraft. I do not know too many folks with a console, but I do see some co-workers forming gaming groups. I am leaning towards the Xbox one at this point.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Works great on VMWare. Needed to connect the Xbox via ethernet. Wifi worked, but only on low quality.

69CPSkS.jpg

LoonyGeekFun

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
lancaster UK
So far things have been good with my setup. I would think Sony will have an edge with game streaming using a native OS X app vs parallels with Windows 10, but who really knows until it is released.

My setup is a 2011 21.5 iMac, wired Xbox and using an ac wifi to Ethernet wireless bridge. (I also used the native n wifi, both worked fine.)

I would choose the system that has the games you most want to play, or have the most friends to play with. Halo & Gears is why I chose the Xbox (360 backwards compatibility being a nice bonus.)

thanks so much for posting your experience of streaming the xbox one to mac via parallels!

this will make life so much easier for my twitch broadcasting if I don't have to stop stream and reboot in to bootcamp.

I registered just to say thanks.

so, thanks!

Andy

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I only want to stream my PC game to the XB1. So that I can enjoy high quality 1080P 60FPS gaming on big TV.

This would require high processing power on the PC side, which is not a problem and the XB1 should easily be the receiving side and provide the control interface.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Hopefully now that the ps4 can also stream, Microsoft will upgrade it's streaming with a native Xbox app for OS X as well. I wouldn't hold my breath however.....

LoonyGeekFun

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2016
lancaster UK
thanks so much for posting your experience of streaming the xbox one to mac via parallels!

this will make life so much easier for my twitch broadcasting if I don't have to stop stream and reboot in to bootcamp.

I registered just to say thanks.

so, thanks!

Andy

just an update to this..

it works! it really works and now parallels 11 with windows 10 can play pc steam games like rocket league too. So happy to have found this out

an occasional reopen of the xbox app now and again is all that's required if streaming GTA5 but doesn't happen with other games and it doesn't happen often though to have too much of a bad effect on the stream.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
when I try with parallels I get 1 second controller lag. I have all green on the Xbox app too. And hard wired controller to my late 2016 MBP with usb > usb-C. Any ideas?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
There are thousands of different setting can be used in Parallel.

Which one did you use?

Independent full screen? Integrated into Mac desktop?

Video config?

Optimised for game?

Network setting? Good Wifi reception? Or cable network?

I stream gaming my XB1 on my Parallel quite a few times, it work flawlessly so far. Do not have any lag.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
does this work as well as PS4 streaming service for Mac?

Yes, but Xbox ONE require Windows (either Parallel or Bootcamp). In terms of quality, they are virtually the same.

The main difference is the new XB controller has BT connection with Windows, so no USB controller connection require like PS4 does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.