Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
My trusty Xbox One X has bricked during an update. I suspect a CMOS issue owing to it being unplugged from mains power almost always when not in use. I know that CMOS problems have killed some PlayStation units prior to Sony fixing the issue with an update. I’m wondering if I’m likely to encounter similar ramifications of treating a Series X in the same way vis-à-vis mains connection. Do they even have a battery? You’d think by now devices like this would use an EPROM but I can’t find a definitive answer other than opinions.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Anything on Reddit ?

Sorry. Mea culpa in not replying to this sooner. For the benefit of anyone searching this topic, all subsequent research has indicated that Series X does not use a CMOS battery. Good news all round in this day and age. More pertinently, it came to light that the fault with my One X was in fact the semi-notorious Blu-ray Drive of Death. Xbox drives are factory coded to the machine. The drive is checked during software updates, and if found to be faulty, which isn’t entirely uncommon, the Xbox will not boot. You can’t replace the drive short of also swapping out its PCB for the original, so if you’re not handy with a soldering iron then the Xbox is perma-bricked unless you send it off to Microsoft or a 3rd party repair shop. Classy 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: lostPod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.