Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I'm a Xbox guy when it comes to consoles. I was thinking Xbox can easily just make Mixed Reality Headsets compatible with the next Xbox (Project Scarlett), instead of making a proprietary headset. This will give us choice of headset, and no need for external tracking.

I really hope Xbox goes VR, so I can move my Xbox around and play some VR games in other rooms.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I'm a Xbox guy when it comes to consoles. I was thinking Xbox can easily just make Mixed Reality Headsets compatible with the next Xbox (Project Scarlett), instead of making a proprietary headset. This will give us choice of headset, and no need for external tracking.

I really hope Xbox goes VR, so I can move my Xbox around and play some VR games in other rooms.

Not gonna happen as of now - MS sees VR as a PC experience, not a Console one:

https://www.roadtovr.com/xbox-head-...-vr-xbox-one-x-refreshingly-candid-interview/

Reactions: a2jack and Huntn

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
That interview was two years ago, and Oculus is kicking MS's ass in the PC VR space. I still think there is a slight chance Mixed Reality Headsets will be made compatible with Xbox, even if not at launch.

Still stands even now:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/509489-xbox-vr-microsoft-virtual-reality-release-date

Last holidays - if you searched around, you can get a new PS4 for $200 and a new PSVR Headset and Camera bundle for $200.

$400 for a new PSVR setup is as expensive as a WMR headset...

Granted, the Microsoft Store had the cheaper WMR headsets on special for $200 for Black Friday.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not gonna happen as of now - MS sees VR as a PC experience, not a Console one:

https://www.roadtovr.com/xbox-head-...-vr-xbox-one-x-refreshingly-candid-interview/
I’d be really interested in seeing how console To PC VR compares with each other. I agree that an Xbox controller would simplify input but would that end up being a compromise?

43E35B1F-C876-4392-976C-CFA41D35EF3E.jpeg

i’ve mentioned this topic, controllers before, but I’m thinking along the lines of the much greater input my setup offers- Razer Gaming mouse and Razer Nostromo. It’s like 14 versus 50 inputs vs 10? Not exact numbers. And there is the aspect of not having visual aids to show you which button does what, although you eventually memorize them, but I still find myself looking at the ABXY buttons on the Xbox controller.
B6799B47-8584-4B0F-9F9F-A8901047D215.jpeg
A901B278-4B93-45C4-AD50-0D571639073B.jpeg
The Occulus Touch controllers are perfect for interacting with and manipulating devices in the VR environment, but not issuing abstract command that many games are built on. Now, I admit, I don’r Typically use all of my buttons in the average game, but I have many options for any input I feel is important.

88E6A13A-EE8E-4896-835B-DD29CE2378A5.jpeg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I’d be really interested in seeing how console To PC VR compares with each other. I agree that an Xbox controller would simplify input but would that end up being a compromise?

i’ve mentioned this topic, controllers before, but I’m thinking along the lines of the much greater input my setup offers- Razer Gaming mouse and Razer Nostromo. It’s like 14 versus 50 inputs vs 10? Not exact numbers. And there is the aspect of not having visual aids to show you which button does what, although you eventually memorize them, but I still find myself looking at the ABXY buttons on the Xbox controller.
The Occulus Touch controllers are perfect for interacting with and manipulating devices in the VR environment, but not issuing abstract command that many games are built on. Now, I admit, I don’r Typically use all of my buttons in the average game, but I have many options for any input I feel is important.

I grew used to and spoiled seeing a virtual controller in the PSVR headset - the VR I tried on PC I was flustered I couldn't see the controls...

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Depends on the game, the system, and the controls.

The PSVR virtual PS4 controller is nice and the AIM Controller in Farpoint and DOOM VFR is phenomenal...

I don't have the motion controllers so I can't say with those.
Most experience I have is with the Occulus Touch controller which are good for manipulating in-game items, but not for the abstract commands. I have limited experience with the Xbox 1 controller in VR, not sure it is shows what the buttons do for that or not. So right now it strikes me as as limited control until I see otherwise.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Most experience I have is with the Occulus Touch controller which are good for manipulating in-game items, but not for the abstract commands. I have limited experience with the Xbox 1 controller in VR, not sure it is shows what the buttons do for that or not. So right now it strikes me as as limited control until I see otherwise.

That XBox 1 controller in VR you will never be able to see it in the headset.

People were initially wondering about why Sony put that light on the PS4 controller, well we found out... ;)

Reactions: Huntn

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009

I use my Xbox One controller while playing Project Cars 2 in VR. I'm thinking about getting a Logitech G920 wheel and see how that works out.

Reactions: a2jack and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.