Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Hi!

I am about to buy a Xbox 360 Halo Edition (most probably) and I have a E207WFP Dell 20" widescreen monitor. How do I hook it up with my monitor and play?

Thank you!

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Assuming the Halo Edition Xbox still has the standard video out that all 360s have, just use the Xbox 360 VGA Cable. Be wary though, most of them tend to to have bent pins. You can just unbend them, but it can be kind of a hassle.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
So I am guessing I will have to change the blue adapter from the back of my monitor everytime I play Xbox360? Then plug it back in again to get my desktop back?

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
From what i read about your monitor, it has a DVI and VGA inputs. if you got an adapter for your computer or 360 VGA cable, it would probably work

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I have the same monitor as the OP, and I don't switch plugs, but I use DVI for my Mac Pro. If both devices are connecting via VGA, then yes, he will have to unplug and replug things in to get them to work.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Okay.. I got another thought. Should I buy it end of August or in November (Black Friday, ?)

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
You could mod the 360s standard video cable yes, but i was talking about buying an Xbox 360 VGA cable (linked earlier in the thread). With the 360 VGA cable, you just plug it into the video out on the 360 and into the VGA (blue) input.
Similarly ReanimationLP suggested getting an HDMI cable which would plug into the HDMI out on the Halo 360, and then getting a DVI/HDMI adapter. This, , plus an HDMI cable is what you would need to go the HDMI route.
Although, since HDMI carries sound and DVI doesn't, I'm not sure what you would do about sound...

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Then I guess the best solution is to get the VGA Cable. One thing I don't understand, that is, after plugging the VGA cables and stuffs.. will I be able to return to my desktop without changing the (blue) input?

Thank you both for the help and suggestion.

Cashmere Fedora

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2007
Then I guess the best solution is to get the VGA Cable. One thing I don't understand, that is, after plugging the VGA cables and stuffs.. will I be able to return to my desktop without changing the (blue) input?

Thank you both for the help and suggestion.

If your computer doesn't have a DVI output, you'll need to get this.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
If your computer doesn't have a DVI output, you'll need to get this.

That wont work due to on the monitor it is a DVI-D port, not a DVI-I or DVI-A port.

It wont physically fit nor work.

Again, your best suggestion is either the VGA cable, or if you get the HDMI 360, that with the HDMI and DVI adapters.

For sound, the 360s come with a little cable that plugs into the normal older AV connector, and allows you to hook up regular RCA jacks or Toslink Optical sound.

If you dont wanna keep switching, they do make VGA switchboxes, but they can be pricey. Make sure its capable of supporting HDTV, or you'll get a TON of ghosting.

Either that, or use a KVM.

Cashmere Fedora

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2007
That wont work due to on the monitor it is a DVI-D port, not a DVI-I or DVI-A port.

It wont physically fit nor work.

Oops:eek:

I didn't even catch that. I a**umed that DVI-I would work with both DVI-D and DVI-A. Now that i look at it, though, the DVI-I has 4 extra pins around the "blade."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.