Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
As many folks are aware I was debating whether to jump ship from the playstation platform to the XBox. The strength of Microsoft's subscription service was the deciding factor. I have access to so many games, that I don't have to pay, is so worth it. I don't just mean Bethesda games, or the Halo franchise, but also games on EA Play. This is a game changer feature (pun intended).

Here's my initial thoughts on the XBox X
Console design - I REALLY like the design of the Xbox over the PS5. I find it fits better on my tv cabinet, its clean look appeals to me. So visually, I was liking this design over the PS5 The Oreo cookie look of the PS5 just turns me off. I know how it looks shouldn't matter but aesthetics does matter, why else would we be drawn to Apple products ;)

Controller.. I really thought I'd hate the Xbox controller, its just so Chonky but funny enough it fits nicely in my hand and the button layout seems well thought out. I'm so used to the design of the PS4 controller that I'm struggling to get used to the XBox way. In game, I need to hit the X button (and with tips on for battlefront 1 for example) I'm told to hit the X button - well on the PS4 that's the round button at 6:00 O'clock but on the XBox, that button is at 9:00 O'clock. Guess which button I'm hitting, yep the "A" which is at 6:00 O'clock I get that in time, I'll get used to the different layout but for now its slowing me down. I'm easily confused over LB or RB as well Unlike the PS4, this takes batteries, I thought i'd hate this but it seems ok, we'll see if I want to get an Elite controller or a third party that uses rechargeable batteries. As of now, I'm happy with how it feels, and performs, so I have no plans.

UI/UX - this is where its not just confusing but overall not as logical for the playstation. I'm sure familiarity will increase my performance on this but I do think the playstation has done its interface better.

Games. There's a dearth of Xbox X games, to be sure and it will be a while before we start seeing 4k games, but given the subscription service, I have so many to choose from and right now I'm trying out Battlefield 1. It doesn't cost me anything and its been enjoyable. I'm more of a RPG player but I do like FPS type games depending on the genre.

Performance. The thing is lightening fast, games start up nearly immediately, and load screens so far have not been a problem. One game that I'm familiar with has terribly long load screens - Fallout 4. I may fire that up and do a playthrough and see how its load screens are being handled. I expect it be better then my PS4, but will it be better then my desktop computer (Ryzen 3700x/RTX2060 Super)

Overall its a solid console, and I have zero regrets or buyers remorse.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
Thanks for this. I'm also a PS player who is looking at the Xbox for the unlimited play features. I keep hoping Sony will find a way to pull this off, and I have time to think about it because the xbox isn't in stock anywhere.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
One thing I am noticing and its more PC vs. Console. Aiming and shooting is a bit harder using a controller. I never really noticed this on my PS4, but between using the PS4 and getting a Xbox X, I was (and continue) using a PC to play games. I'll still use a PC but for shooting aiming with a keyboard and mouse is surprisingly easier and more accurate.

I'm sure muscle memory and comfort with using a controller will close the gap, and I'm sure I probably thought the inverse when I first started playing a Fallout series game on my PC, i.e.., remarking how hard it is using the keyboard with my left hand and mouse with the right ;)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Good write up. I would agree that the UI is poor and messy. Thankfully it's snappy and games launch lightening fast.

It's difficult to fully judge the console or even PS5 as there are currently very few truly next gen first party titles for either. However, they make current and older games much more enjoyable to play.

If I buy my partner something nice for Christmas, she might let me buy myself PS5 as well. However we are more likely to buy a Switch that my kids can play.

Reactions: maflynn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah the UI is interesting. I have a X360, and first setting up our Series S left me wondering who thought the perfectly working X360 interface (especially the version before they made the guide button press look like the old version) needed to be massively overhauled. My son doesn't notice cause he never played the 360.

Of course I complained about the loss of XMB on the Sony side so maybe I am just old, lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Glad you were able to get one, MaFlynn. Still none here.
I'm happy with my purchase, I still use my PC for some gaming, and I'm waiting for some next games to hit the market but I knew going into this, that it will take some time to see those games hit the market.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
One thing I am noticing and its more PC vs. Console. Aiming and shooting is a bit harder using a controller. I never really noticed this on my PS4, but between using the PS4 and getting a Xbox X, I was (and continue) using a PC to play games. I'll still use a PC but for shooting aiming with a keyboard and mouse is surprisingly easier and more accurate.

I'm sure muscle memory and comfort with using a controller will close the gap, and I'm sure I probably thought the inverse when I first started playing a Fallout series game on my PC, i.e.., remarking how hard it is using the keyboard with my left hand and mouse with the right ;)
I'm pretty sure you can use keyboard and mouse on a Xbox X. I know Xbox X gamers use KBM in COD Warzone and Cold War. Probably doesn't support all games, but the Xbox X does supports Keyboard and Mouse. I would think it would be like my PC where you can switch back and forth. I switch from controller to KBM playing CP2077.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have gamed with M&K on my XSX. It's plain sailing. However of you are an 3lite gamer then PC sometimes offers more customisation, hardware profile and last but not least mods and custom maps for certain FPS games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.