Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
As I at least attempt to return to some level of fitness through 2018 etc.
Tonight my fun xboxone s is listed via e-bay.
I have searched an answer though not confident I’ll be keeping my ‘data’ or payment details safe.
Let’s assume my console sells over next few days.
As it came with horizon 3/hot wheels codes which I activated and installed.
In addition I purchased City Skylines download and installed.
Only 1 disc game which is included gears ultimate.
Anyway -can the mentioned games be safely transferred to a new owner.
If so please advise how I could remove my payment details whilst any new owner has access to existing games.

Thanks in advance
What a smart console -I can’t find the time to enjoy in my 40’s!

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I don't believe you can transfer digitally purchased titles to a new owner. Those are forever tied to your gamertag/email account, and I don't think you'd want to try transferring your account to essentially a total stranger.

No resale value is the big strike against digital content. You can only resell physical copies, so make sure your listing doesn't include digital-only content. If it's any consolation, I don't think the bundled games will bring you much value. You'd have to find a buyer with the same taste in games.

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I don't believe you can transfer digitally purchased titles to a new owner. Those are forever tied to your gamertag/email account, and I don't think you'd want to try transferring your account to essentially a total stranger.

No resale value is the big strike against digital content. You can only resell physical copies, so make sure your listing doesn't include digital-only content. If it's any consolation, I don't think the bundled games will bring you much value. You'd have to find a buyer with the same taste in games.

Thanks though. Since found this, might not be ideal though maybe an option next week on any successful sale.
Transfer content licences
You can transfer content licences from one console to another once every four months.

If your console was recently repaired, or if you’ve purchased a new console, use the licence transfer option on your console to transfer content licences. Here’s how:

1. On your console, sign in to Xbox Live using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.
  2. Go to the Settings and then select Account.
  3. Go to Your Billing Options, and then select Licence Transfer.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer the content licences.
After the licences have been transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licences. This way the content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you’re not connected to Xbox Live

On reading this licence transfer process, there is some trust required from any new owner to sign in with my account follow transfers process and re download my digi game purchases-I could add please delete my account once complete.

Only question unanswered is would I have to leave my payment details stored as part of this transfer process.
Interesting content license transfer tech question of 2018.

Funny I only got this from an ebay user e-mail today via apple se 1 watch when i woke up to check icloud e-mails

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Thanks though. Since found this, might not be ideal though maybe an option next week on any successful sale.
Transfer content licences
You can transfer content licences from one console to another once every four months.

If your console was recently repaired, or if you’ve purchased a new console, use the licence transfer option on your console to transfer content licences. Here’s how:

1. On your console, sign in to Xbox Live using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.
  2. Go to the Settings and then select Account.
  3. Go to Your Billing Options, and then select Licence Transfer.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer the content licences.
After the licences have been transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licences. This way the content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you’re not connected to Xbox Live

On reading this licence transfer process, there is some trust required from any new owner to sign in with my account follow transfers process and re download my digi game purchases-I could add please delete my account once complete.

Only question unanswered is would I have to leave my payment details stored as part of this transfer process.
Interesting content license transfer tech question of 2018.

Funny I only got this from an ebay user e-mail today via apple se 1 watch when i woke up to check icloud e-mails
What this is saying is how to transfer your digitally purchased content to a new console (like if you buy an new console because the old one broke), not transferring content to a new owner. The above will only work if the new owner is also willing to take on your gamertag and account, which I think would be a tough sell on eBay.

Reactions: Donfor39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.