Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Apologies if this is a recurring question.

I’ve just installed Xcode 14.0.1 to the Applications folder and it’s taking up 23GB of disk space. Just two versions ago at 12.5.1, it occupied 9.7GB. How has it doubled in less than two years?

I dunno, this monolithic package smacks of bad engineering. Couldn’t this dev tool be deployed as discrete modules/components? Do I really need all 23GB of what’s included? Is there an alternative I could use?

I’m okay for disk space, I’m okay for download bandwidth but there seems like a lot of waste going on…

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
Wow, I hadn’t noticed that. The Finder and du show less actual space used for some reason, although that iOS simulator runtime package is huge!

Xcode has always been a beast, but it would be nice to split it up. All I use from it are the SDKs and every once in a while the Interface Editor, the command line tools take care of the rest.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Wow, I hadn’t noticed that. The Finder and du show less actual space used for some reason, although that iOS simulator runtime package is huge!

Xcode has always been a beast, but it would be nice to split it up. All I use from it are the SDKs and every once in a while the Interface Editor, the command line tools take care of the rest.
I’ve never developed for Apple TV nor watch. And I’m sure there are others who’ve no intention of developing for macOS nor iOS. Why the kitchen sink bundle is the default is perplexing.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
At least one of the big factors must be the fact they need to include Mac support for 2 architectures now.
That’s definitely a possibility…

… which evokes the question of how much of the package is dedicated to compilation tools (IDE tools, compiler, SDKs) vs runtime tools (iOS,tv,watch simulators, inspector tools, debugger, SWIFT playgrounds, app building n signing etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.