Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Some time ago I downloaded and ran successfully Xcode 4.3.3 and Xcode 4.4 simultaneously. Then, troubleshooting I deleted them, wiping out all files referencing to both Xcode versions through Terminal. I then re-downloaded 4.3.3 and was able to launch and run it, however 4.4 which I re-downloaded afterwards refused to do the same resulting in an endless hang which to abort I could only resort to Force Quit. Having launched again I was greeted with a notification message suggesting me to either to restore previous windows or do not restore. Regardless of the option selected the hang renewed immediately until the next ForceQuit etc. I can't understand what went wrong this time? I haven't started any projects that could become corrupted or so as a common explanation suggested on numerous forums. I remember that since Apple's certificate expired and being on Lion I needed older versions of Xcode I changed the date to the one closer to the original release date. The first time trick worked with both version (although I can't remember how exactly I changed them) and so it did with 4.3.3 this time but not with 4.4.

Also, if it might seem useful, when uninstalling I removed these binary files referencing to Xcode:

/usr/bin/xcodebuild

/usr/bin/xcode-select

/usr/share/man/man1/xcode-select.1

/usr/share/man/man1/xcodebuild.1

/usr/share/xcode-select

I removed these items because I thought it was bundled with Xcode and therefore would be re-installed again. Was I wrong? Was these built-in OS X?

Acting on intuition I looked inside Xcode.app packages of both versions but could only find /usr/bin/xcodebuild.

So what should I do?

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany
No doubt the fastest solution would be reinstalling, either from backups or with original installers, of either or both Xcode and/or OSX. If you actually want to know what's going on though maybe try truss on Xcode, or sampling it, to see what its waiting for.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
No doubt the fastest solution would be reinstalling, either from backups or with original installers, of either or both Xcode and/or OSX. If you actually want to know what's going on though maybe try truss on Xcode, or sampling it, to see what its waiting for.
I solved. It turned out my instinct didn't do a bad turn as I later learned that the binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/share were responsible for launching several versions of Xcode. I downloaded Lion combo update from Apple's downloads section, installed these components using Pacifist and the problem was gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.