Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darbydoggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
California
My Powerbook shipped with Xcode 1.1 which I have installed. Should I bother updating to 1.2 or 1.5? Or, should I plan on updating when I upgrade to tiger (which I am assuming will ship with a newer version of Xcode)?

I am only learning to program with cocoa / Xcode with no previous experiecne (wierd hobby huh?). I am not doing any serious work and hope to learn enough to try out some simple projects. Is upgrading a necesity, or will 1.1 work well for me? Can I continue projects started in 1.1 in a later version of Xcode if I don't update to a newer version now?

Thanks for any advice!

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
I had problems with xcode 1.5 when i first upped to it but now all is fine. I recommened it. It seems to be faster and have faster compilation than older ones.

and yes if you start a program in 1.1 and upp to lets say the tiger xcode you will stil lbe able to open the program source

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As mentioned, the source code will (of course) be readable by any future version of Xcode. Apple has also been really good about having newer versions of Xcode seamlessly (or with a prompt if it need to overwrite them) read older projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.