Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuawhite929

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Hello,

I have been working up to cutting the cord and started doing some initial research on how to stream content. I found out about Comcast's partnership with Roku and how the Xfinity Stream app allows you to get your cable content over Roku boxes without the need to use Comcast boxes. While not cord cutting, its a step in the right direction.

Anyone have any insight into if/when this might be available for the Apple TV?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There was a rumor a few years ago that Apple was asking Comcast to be the exclusive streaming box for the Xfinity service.

Xfinity would have an app on the tvOS store, and this would open up Comcast's service to places that currently don't have Xfinity.

The deal was finally rejected by Comcast due to Comcast wanting to push their X1 service.

Plus, I suspect that Comcast would not want to give up that rental revenue from STB for their current customers.

As for now, I also suspect that the X1 service has not slowed the cord-cutting movement, and has not lived up to Comcast's expectations.

Roku probably gave Comcast a better deal than Apple too.
Anyone have any insight into if/when this might be available for the Apple TV?
I doubt there will be a Xfinity app any time soon. Roku probably signed up for some type of exclusivity deal with Comcast too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.