Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Hi all.

I have a little trouble with my 5,1 with an XFX r9 280x 3GB.
It works great in my windows computer, it works in Ventura installer through OCLP, although rather slow. After the first boot it runs really sluggish and system info says the GPU only has 7MB RAM. After installing OCLP patches it stops booting and hangs in the middle of the loading bar. It doesn't boot into Mojave either.
When I bought the mac it had a 7970 but it died after couple days, I have tried a GT640 and a R7 370x that I had laying around and both of them work, (but they don't support metal) so I don't think there is something wrong with the mac itself.

The card is not flashed yet, but I was under an impression it should run in OCLP patched system before flashing.
What should I do to make this card run? I do not have much experience with Macs so I might be missing something obvious. Thanks for all and any help!

I have tried updating the bios to the newest on from TechPowerUp and it doesn't boot in my mac anymore - not even an installer from a USB - hangs in the middle of the loading bar. If I understand correctly, flashing a card will just add the ability to show boot screen, but it won't make an incompatible card work?

Can I flash it with a bios from a different vendor?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If I understand correctly, flashing a card will just add the ability to show boot screen, but it won't make an incompatible card work?
Except XFX card which has cMP compatibility issue from the factory.

Can try, not ideal, but may work.

However, you better know what you are doing, and how to recover the card if it can't boot. In general, only do this on dual BIOS card (or you know how to hardware flash the card).

overshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2018
Hi all.

I have a little trouble with my 5,1 with an XFX r9 280x 3GB.
It works great in my windows computer, it works in Ventura installer through OCLP, although rather slow. After the first boot it runs really sluggish and system info says the GPU only has 7MB RAM. After installing OCLP patches it stops booting and hangs in the middle of the loading bar. It doesn't boot into Mojave either.
When I bought the mac it had a 7970 but it died after couple days, I have tried a GT640 and a R7 370x that I had laying around and both of them work, (but they don't support metal) so I don't think there is something wrong with the mac itself.

The card is not flashed yet, but I was under an impression it should run in OCLP patched system before flashing.
What should I do to make this card run? I do not have much experience with Macs so I might be missing something obvious. Thanks for all and any help!

I have tried updating the bios to the newest on from TechPowerUp and it doesn't boot in my mac anymore - not even an installer from a USB - hangs in the middle of the loading bar. If I understand correctly, flashing a card will just add the ability to show boot screen, but it won't make an incompatible card work?

Hello,

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but were you able to flash your card with a different vendor Bios.
I am experiencing the same behavior with my XFX RX570 which shows 7MB under Monterey while it was working fine under Big Sur.

WindowServer is constantly crashing since my upgrade to Monterey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.