Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
The 14 is an extremely strong competitor to the baseline S24. The Ultra is a strong competitor to the S24+ and perhaps even the Ultra

Couple of reviews of the 14.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
ebd7ff829a2e994d23b77fd3529d15a1.jpg

Great value

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
The baseline 14 is the same price in the UK as the baseline S24. Yet has a SD Gen 3, 12GB RAM & a larger battery. For a phone that’s only marginally larger and heavier. It does make you wonder if Samsung are getting lazy with their phones? Mind you if you’re in UK or Europe apparently the band support is much better than the US.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The baseline 14 is the same price in the UK as the baseline S24. Yet has a SD Gen 3, 12GB RAM & a larger battery. For a phone that’s only marginally larger and heavier. It does make you wonder if Samsung are getting lazy with their phones? Mind you if you’re in UK or Europe apparently the band support is much better than the US.

100% they are

90w wired charging and 80w wireless is mad

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
It comes with the new and more streamlined Hyperos based on Android 14. User guide below.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It comes with the new and more streamlined Hyperos based on Android 14. User guide below.

I would be extremely tempted by the 14 Ultra if i could be sure of the below
1) Verizon supported the phone
2) Monthly security updates including Android 15 this year
3) They will not be banned as they have in the past for shady business practices.

I think this phone is a beast! In some ways it is better than the P8P and S24U.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
3) They will not be banned as they have in the past for shady business practices.

They’ve promised 4 version updates according to one of the review videos I posted above.

As I’m in the UK I know it will have full band support. Like you it’s the last point I’m unclear on.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Doubtful on any if those points.

Xiaomi is a company with a set profit margin. It is mostly a shell company for the government. They make great hardware for cheap but there is a reason for it. If you value your privacy at all then I would avoid it.

Xiaomi is huge in China, one of the leading market brands there. They know how to make incredible hardware and if you live in a region they have a string presence in then they are great. Updates are still an issue although a lot better than in the past.

Personally I would still buy an s24 ultra for a variety of reasons but I can see how cool and affordable these phones are.

I had a Xiaomi mi max 3 and I loved it until I permanently software bricked it. A few others but where I live cell band support is minimal at best. They were fun to play with at around $170 though.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Doubtful on any if those points.

Xiaomi is a company with a set profit margin. It is mostly a shell company for the government. They make great hardware for cheap but there is a reason for it. If you value your privacy at all then I would avoid it.

Xiaomi is huge in China, one of the leading market brands there. They know how to make incredible hardware and if you live in a region they have a string presence in then they are great. Updates are still an issue although a lot better than in the past.

Personally I would still buy an s24 ultra for a variety of reasons but I can see how cool and affordable these phones are.

I had a Xiaomi mi max 3 and I loved it until I permanently software bricked it. A few others but where I live cell band support is minimal at best. They were fun to play with at around $170 though.

The thing is any phone a privacy risk, there’s always somebody possibly spying on you? You think Google or Apple don’t scrape your personal data, you also think that doesn’t get passed onto governments if requested.

If they are considered that big a threat why aren’t they banned in other markets, the EU for certain is very hot on this kind of thing.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The thing is any phone a privacy risk, there’s always somebody possibly spying on you?

If they are considered that big a threat why aren’t they banned in other markets, the EU for certain is very hot on this kind of thing.
I agree every phone is a privacy risk but there are degrees of risk. A subtle nuance but none the less important.

At least I know the US government are spying on me, some US corporations and not the CCP and the others as well. I never said they Xiaomi was a big threat?

I said I personally wouldn't trust them with my personal life and data. If you feel good, then go for it.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
I agree every phone is a privacy risk but there are degrees of risk. A subtle nuance but none the less important.

At least I know the US government are spying on me, some US corporations and not the CCP and the others as well. I never said they Xiaomi was a big threat?

I said I personally wouldn't trust them with my personal life and data. If you feel good, then go for it.

Are their handsets actually officially banned from the sale in the US?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are their handsets actually officially banned from the sale in the US?
They were banned at one point. then removed from the list 2 years agao.
here is some info

Reactions: super chimp

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My Xiaomi 13 ultra even with it being a china device I still got monthly updates. I’m interested how the global version will be so excited to try it out.

sellibg my 13 ultra is tough here in UK as one place which I thought would take it said no as it’s not a global version.

so may give it to my dad for his birthday. It should still work on Vodafone

Reactions: super chimp

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My Xiaomi 13 ultra even with it being a china device I still got monthly updates. I’m interested how the global version will be so excited to try it out.

sellibg my 13 ultra is tough here in UK as one place which I thought would take it said no as it’s not a global version.

so may give it to my dad for his birthday. It should still work on Vodafone
Have you looked at selling it on Swappa?

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
here is some info

Thanks for those links as wasn’t aware of any of that info.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I am visiting China in a couple of months and will definitely play with this in person somewhere. I hate that the world can't just all use the same bands for global compatibility. Not sure if that is even possible, but it'd be great. If it worked in the U.S. I'd buy it in a minute when there.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
here is some info

Been thinking been using a OnePlus 6 for years and that’s effectively a Chinese phone as well is it not?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Been thinking been using a OnePlus 6 for years and that’s effectively a Chinese phone as well is it not?
I am not sure to be honest. I know that Huawei and others were caught imbedding security exploits in some communications devices that were tracked back to the CCP. They were caught spying and espionage.
I think with some overseas companies like Xiaomi.....their country of origin does not have the same IP and copyright laws we do in the US. So they have been caught stealing IP and been banned in other countries.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
I am not sure to be honest. I know that Huawei and others were caught imbedding security exploits in some communications devices that were tracked back to the CCP. They were caught spying and espionage.
I think with some overseas companies like Xiaomi.....their country of origin does not have the same IP and copyright laws we do in the US. So they have been caught stealing IP and been banned in other countries.

When I looked up who owned OnePlus the brand I got this reply.

OnePlus is a subsidiary of BBK Electronics, a Chinese multinational conglomerate. BBK Electronics also owns other popular smartphone brands such as Oppo, Vivo, and Realme.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The sample photos I’m seeing on social media are unbelievable. This is the first phone I’ve seen that blows the iPhone and Pixel out of the water. The camera hardware combined with the Leica processing is no gimmick unlike a lot of other phones. One major thing they’ve cracked is toning down the sharpening and HDR post processing that Apple, Samsung, and Google love which gives it that grotesque flat look. The 14 Ultra quite confidently lets shadows be shadows and lets highlights be highlights, that’s why so many photos have that 3D look I’ve come to associate with Leica cameras. Also the white balance and tint look great, Apple (and Samsung sometimes) add a disgusting green tint to photos which I absolutely hate.

The first phone I’ve thought about getting simply for taking photos that I can then export to my iCloud Photos library. The best part is it’s Chinese so no spyware that’s a threat to me so long as I avoid Google services (if I’m just taking photos I guess there’s no need for installing Google). Really tempted.

Reactions: jamezr and ramram55

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The sample photos I’m seeing on social media are unbelievable. This is the first phone I’ve seen that blows the iPhone and Pixel out of the water. The camera hardware combined with the Leica processing is no gimmick unlike a lot of other phones. One major thing they’ve cracked is toning down the sharpening and HDR post processing that Apple, Samsung, and Google love which gives it that grotesque flat look. The 14 Ultra quite confidently lets shadows be shadows and lets highlights be highlights, that’s why so many photos have that 3D look I’ve come to associate with Leica cameras. Also the white balance and tint look great, Apple (and Samsung sometimes) add a disgusting green tint to photos which I absolutely hate.

The first phone I’ve thought about getting simply for taking photos that I can then export to my iCloud Photos library. The best part is it’s Chinese so no spyware that’s a threat to me so long as I avoid Google services (if I’m just taking photos I guess there’s no need for installing Google). Really tempted.
I think it depends what your preference is. I still actually prefer the pixel camera to the 14 ultra.

I Would say the vivo 100 pro is the best complete camera out there for all scenes that I've seen.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I would be so tempted to get this phone if it was available through my carrier Verizon....
That way I knew it would get all the cellular bands here in the US. I am concerned about security and software updates from Xiaomi as well. Are they committed to supporting their phones with updates? Will this phone get Android 15?

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Comparison between the 14 Ultra & S24 Ultra. Overall they seem equal to me.

As an aside when you look for reviews for the 14 Ultra on Amazon UK all you get is reviews for the standard 14, which is really unhelpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.