Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Looks great, can't wait for it to come to European shores. I know this site is predominantly US users so perhaps not of much interest here.

On sale for $684 equivalent in China right now. European prices shouldn't be too far off. Incredible specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_14_pro-12643.php

Notably: SD 8 Gen 3, 3000 nit screen, variable aperture camera.

Xiaomi is also getting better with software support length and should be getting at least 5 years of security updates. IMO this blows the Pixel 8 Pro out of the water.

Reactions: ramram55

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
It is advanced tech in that part of the world, that made it far ahead of others. Made others blood boiled and teeth crunched. Sanctions and more sanctions. Only shot themselve in the foot. Period.

Reactions: h.gilbert

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Looks great, can't wait for it to come to European shores. I know this site is predominantly US users so perhaps not of much interest here.

On sale for $684 equivalent in China right now. European prices shouldn't be too far off. Incredible specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_14_pro-12643.php

Notably: SD 8 Gen 3, 3000 nit screen, variable aperture camera.

Xiaomi is also getting better with software support length and should be getting at least 5 years of security updates. IMO this blows the Pixel 8 Pro out of the water.
Don't think I've ever seen someone put the Apple Polishing Cloth in their sig 🤣🤣🤣.

Too bad these phones won't fully work with US carriers. I for one would buy this phone (or the regular 14) in a heartbeat.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Don't think I've ever seen someone put the Apple Polishing Cloth in their sig 🤣🤣🤣.

Too bad these phones won't fully work with US carriers. I for one would buy this phone (or the regular 14) in a heartbeat.
When you own a Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce Roadster, you can splurge on an Apple cloth, perhaps even a 6 pack of AC's. It works well on car paint too.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

It's the highest quality product listed within my sig

• Haha
Reactions: Harthag

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
It is advanced tech in that part of the world, that made it far ahead of others. Made others blood boiled and teeth crunched. Sanctions and more sanctions. Only shot themselve in the foot. Period.

So many fantastic value Chinese phones that have essentially been banned in the US, a loss. No doubt android would be much more popular if the likes of Redmi/Poco/Realme was made available and supported.

Reactions: Harthag

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Gurman reports gen 2 will have a 40 billion weave count meaning about 80% higher multi-thread dust removal capacity. Mark his words.

I'm actually waiting on the pricier Polishing Cloth 2 Pro with that incredible new Space Black finish and an unbelievable 1mm super-sized de-dustifying experience. We pros have been crying out for these product enhancements for centuries, even before Polishing Cloth was conceived as a conceptualized experience.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
When you own a Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce Roadster, you can splurge on an Apple cloth, perhaps even a 6 pack of AC's. It works well on car paint too.
Wiping down a Lambo with an Apple Polishing Cloth, now we’re talking!
I'm actually waiting on the pricier Polishing Cloth 2 Pro with that incredible new Space Black finish and an unbelievable 1mm super-sized de-dustifying experience. We pros have been crying out for these product enhancements for centuries, even before Polishing Cloth was conceived as a conceptualized experience.
But the new finish is prone to scratching just like the new titanium iPhones, so it’s best to wait for Gen 3.

Reactions: h.gilbert

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
So many fantastic value Chinese phones that have essentially been banned in the US, a loss. No doubt android would be much more popular if the likes of Redmi/Poco/Realme was made available and supported.
It’s a real shame. I love the Xi Jinping phones as Floss calls them. I use Lenovo laptops, my wife is Chinese, I use WeChat. I haven’t been whacked yet. At the same time T-Mobile and Sony leaked my data more than once. The paranoia is strong here in ‘Murica.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
truth

1698779662000.jpeg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It’s a real shame. I love the Xi Jinping phones as Floss calls them. I use Lenovo laptops, my wife is Chinese, I use WeChat. I haven’t been whacked yet. At the same time T-Mobile and Sony leaked my data more than once. The paranoia is strong here in ‘Murica.
but that is not the whole story though. The paranoia is about the history Chinese companies stealing IP from US companies. Then releasing products in the US and abroad at lower prices because they didn't have to spend big bucks to develop that IP. China doesn't have the same laws to protect IP like the US does.
Some companies have no restriction in releasing products in the US. But they know they will be sued into oblivion when they do for IP theft.

Reactions: tbayrgs and Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
but that is not the whole story though. The paranoia is about the history Chinese companies stealing IP from US companies. Then releasing products in the US and abroad at lower prices because they didn't have to spend big bucks to develop that IP. China doesn't have the same laws to protect IP like the US does.
Some companies have no restriction in releasing products in the US. But they know they will be sued into oblivion when they do for IP theft.

Yes good points. Those are major security and IP issues and I spoke too broadly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wouldn’t make a bit of difference here in the US. It’s essentially Apple, Samsung, a little sprinkling of Google and little else in the US. Couple that with the general sentiment towards China and its policies and you wouldn’t see any desire to purchase phones from Chinese OEMs.

I personally won’t for the reason’s highlighted by @jamezr. Many of the OEMs listed built their smartphone businesses literally copying Apple and Samsung’s hardware and software. Not gonna support that.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Last edited:

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Wouldn’t make a bit of difference here in the US. It’s essentially Apple, Samsung, a little sprinkling of Google and little else in the US. Couple that with the general sentiment towards China and its policies and you wouldn’t see any desire to purchase phones from Chinese OEMs.

I personally won’t for the reason’s highlighted by @jamezr. Many of the OEMs listed built their smartphone businesses literally copying Apple and Samsung’s hardware and software. Not gonna support that.

Samsung and Google are still relatively expensive, and their budget range is pretty poor compared to Chinese models of the same price.

The smartphone shape and build is quite standardised and the components are all sourced from Sony, Samsung, Qualcomm etc anyway.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

It's all good. Sharing is caring.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
xiaomi will always have great hardware

I have the 13 ultra and the specs are great. software isn't my favourite though and at times is frustrating to use. great device though.

the 3,000 nits I think now is more of a marketing thing as next to 15 pro max the xiaomi 14 pro looks same and in some areas iPhone looked brighter

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
xiaomi will always have great hardware

I have the 13 ultra and the specs are great. software isn't my favourite though and at times is frustrating to use. great device though.

the 3,000 nits I think now is more of a marketing thing as next to 15 pro max the xiaomi 14 pro looks same and in some areas iPhone looked brighter

Yep the max brightness stats are a little annoying as it's usually HDR max brightness or max auto and not the brightness when you manually max out the slider

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.