Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Have seen a topics on this but Xiaomi announced their Mix Fold 3 yesterday. Some good specs in there... thoughts?

Xiaomi Mix Fold 3 News

034ad790-3aa7-11ee-969d-5a3a7314ee7a.cf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zakarhino

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
God I love Chinese phones, this thing looks awesome. It's really irritating we can't buy them here because of fears over them outdoing domestic companies. Reminds me of Honor Magic V2, super thin and almost normal phone levels of thickness when closed :eek:

Over the next few years we'll start to see that only Chinese companies are pushing the tech hardware industry forward, it's already happening with EVs because they got the jump on us with that. Praying that China find a way to outmaneuver the jealous vultures and get their hands on the hardware/materials necessary to mass produce 3nm chips (currently blocked via sanctions), they would be unstoppable. I've heard talk of a Chinese company that have found a way to produce those chips without the need for ASML equipment. If that happens we will enter a new Golden Age of Chinese innovation since the Silk Road (it's already happening but world class chips is the cherry on top).

Everyone has to realize that the majority of people in the planet (yes including us in USA/West) stand to benefit from China's technological acceleration, don't believe the tsunami of lies you read in the media.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
God I love Chinese phones, this thing looks awesome. It's really irritating we can't buy them here because of fears over them outdoing domestic companies. Reminds me of Honor Magic V2, super thin and almost normal phone levels of thickness when closed :eek:

Over the next few years we'll start to see that only Chinese companies are pushing the tech hardware industry forward, it's already happening with EVs because they got the jump on us with that. Praying that China find a way to outmaneuver the jealous vultures and get their hands on the hardware/materials necessary to mass produce 3nm chips (currently blocked via sanctions), they would be unstoppable. I've heard talk of a Chinese company that have found a way to produce those chips without the need for ASML equipment. If that happens we will enter a new Golden Age of Chinese innovation since the Silk Road (it's already happening but world class chips is the cherry on top).

Everyone has to realize that the majority of people in the planet (yes including us in USA/West) stand to benefit from China's technological acceleration, don't believe the tsunami of lies you read in the media.
I think it needs to be said that some Chinese comapnies blantently copy other companies IP and technology. That makes them the target of numerous legal battles should they bring that product to a country that has stricter interlectual property laws like the US. Believe me they want to bring their products in the US. But they know they will have a legal issues if they do.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think it needs to be said that some Chinese comapnies blantently copy other companies IP and technology. That makes them the target of numerous legal battles should they bring that product to a country that has stricter interlectual property laws like the US. Believe me they want to bring their products in the US. But they know they will have a legal issues if they do.
This exactly. And I’m sorry but while we have plenty of our own problems with the US government and political landscape, I have zero trust in the Chinese overlords and any organization that is potentially subject to their whims.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
So quick update, I have been using mine for almost 1 month now and have hardly looked at or used my iPhone. The Xiaomi is just so lightweight and thin that I really do see it as an iPad mini and phone crossover. I find Im using the outside screen for quick everyday tasks and use the inner screen when I am using an app for a significant period of time or an app best suited to a larger screen such as Netflix / focused email responses.

Super easy to set up with all EU based apps such as banking / social media etc.

Overall I highly recommend it.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
In case anyone is worried if you can use all the usual apps on the Xiaomi, they all work just fine as you can see from below:

IMG_2155.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
In case anyone is worried if you can use all the usual apps on the Xiaomi, they all work just fine as you can see from below:
Using the usual apps is not issue for me. It’s more so the software features available on the Galaxy Fold that keeps me attached to it.

I like the Xiaomi Fold 3, Oppo Find N2, and Huawei Mate X2. I think the competition is crazy good. How do you balance using the Xiaomi Fold and iPhone?

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Using the usual apps is not issue for me. It’s more so the software features available on the Galaxy Fold that keeps me attached to it.

I like the Xiaomi Fold 3, Oppo Find N2, and Huawei Mate X2. I think the competition is crazy good. How do you balance using the Xiaomi Fold and iPhone?
What are the software features you prefer on the Galaxy, personally I got used to the Xiaomi and didn't regret selling my Galaxy after just a couple of hours. The only niggle is you can't do split screen horizontally with the fold open, only a vertical split.

I used my iPhone 15 as my "dumb phone" now. Literally gym and weekends. I use the Xiaomi / Honor V2 as my productivity phone. Was always an Apple fanboy and really do love the Folds now, they just offer so much more in every department.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
What are the software features you prefer on the Galaxy, personally I got used to the Xiaomi and didn't regret selling my Galaxy after just a couple of hours.
The software features I can’t ignore on the Galaxy are Sound Assistant, Pop-Up View (especially being able to resize windows in a freeform manner) and S-Pen (which includes features within it).

The only niggle is you can't do split screen horizontally with the fold open, only a vertical split.
That’s odd. So, when you have apps split in vertical orientation and then rotate it… what happens?

I used my iPhone 15 as my "dumb phone" now. Literally gym and weekends. I use the Xiaomi / Honor V2 as my productivity phone. Was always an Apple fanboy and really do love the Folds now, they just offer so much more in every department.
I’m curious… why only gym and weekends? And Yeah, I was heavily invested with Apple.. for years. I dabbled with Android throughout the run… but I couldn’t detach myself from the iPhone. And looking back now, I can understand the reluctance that users face when trying to switch. It can be difficult.

But eventually… I couldn‘t neglect how much I preferred using Android over the iPhone. And when foldables were announced, that accelerated the move. I‘m completely off the iPhone… but I’ll still keep an iPad.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.