Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
If the spec you're touting causes a Xaomi phone's camera quality to blow the latest iPhone out of the water, I expect I'll hear about it from trusted sources.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
If the spec you're touting causes a Xaomi phone's camera quality to blow the latest iPhone out of the water, I expect I'll hear about it from trusted sources.
There won't be a source since OP mentioned iPhone 20... Come back here in 2028 xD

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Assuming you are just referring to the camera.

Actually they can. Depends on what you are shooting. A DSLR has the advantage in zooming with the proper lens, and pixel count if your are cropping. They don't have computational photography and there are cases other than the above where they can take better pictures than a DSLR.

True, but changes from year to year.

This video is absolute ******** made as clickbate to generate easy views that translates into easy money.

Computational photography (stupid fancy term for scene recognition) has been with us since the dawn of digital photography. Every point and shoot digital camera had image adjustments based on the scene it recognized. Every entry DSLR had automation for an effect since like forever so average Joe can take images with bokeh background without even trying to bother to understand principles of photography. Or smooth waterfall stream. Or sports photography. Just like how today's phones have option to shoot the moon, vehicle trails and other stuff they cannot do well since there are no manual controls for such stuff. That stuff came from digital cameras and not the other way around. Yes phones have made huge improvements on scene recognition over the time as well as HDR stacking which became the norm due to powerful soc but in the best case scenario it's still 50/50 if the "AI" will recognize the scene properly. And then there is output stuff such as shaprening, clarity, contour detection, high pass and other 2003 Photoshop trickery all smudged into one that manufacturers boost to eleven just so regular Joe could see the difference. It's like they have two principles: everything must be super sharp and colors must be saturated.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
high Apple tax for much lower tech... Apple costs more than Androids because of the software(not copy paste) 🤣... there are costs... an Android with a 5" camera sensor doesnt make it better than an iPhone with a 1" camera sensor. its all about perspective and needs.

If you really want to take good photos,get a mirrorless camera or dslr. There is no way a smartphone will beat a Mirrorless/DSLR anytime soon.
anybody can say anything, doesn't mean it is true. They give Samsungs away, top end phones sell for $200? right?

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
This video is absolute ******** made as clickbate to generate easy views that translates into easy money.

Computational photography (stupid fancy term for scene recognition) has been with us since the dawn of digital photography. Every point and shoot digital camera had image adjustments based on the scene it recognized. Every entry DSLR had automation for an effect since like forever so average Joe can take images with bokeh background without even trying to bother to understand principles of photography. Or smooth waterfall stream. Or sports photography. Just like how today's phones have option to shoot the moon, vehicle trails and other stuff they cannot do well since there are no manual controls for such stuff. That stuff came from digital cameras and not the other way around. Yes phones have made huge improvements on scene recognition over the time as well as HDR stacking which became the norm due to powerful soc but in the best case scenario it's still 50/50 if the "AI" will recognize the scene properly. And then there is output stuff such as shaprening, clarity, contour detection, high pass and other 2003 Photoshop trickery all smudged into one that manufacturers boost to eleven just so regular Joe could see the difference. It's like they have two principles: everything must be super sharp and colors must be saturated.

Well Sony crazy expensive phone still has zero AI but they make very expensive DSLR as well.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Totally disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. I find there are a lot of occasions when my iPhone camera does a better job than my Canon R5.

Added later:

the A/B comparisons in the video are the same results that I see.

Last edited:

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I am an Apple fan through and through and wouldn't want to use Android. But we would be lying to ourselves if we pretend Apple is selling new tech to us. 1/1.3" 48MP sensors have been used in the Android world by Samsung, Xiaomi et al for many years. It'll be this amazing brand new never seen before thing for iPhone this October...

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apparently there are. I remembered Xiaomi selling the Mi 11 Ultra for $1000+ and people were buying it. I almost bought the 11 Ultra but thought it was a waste.
Nah, not at the level of iPhone. Plenty of those are probably sitting on warehouses/resellers somewhere. Xiaomi and many other companies tend to count sales when the product is shipped, not when it is in the hands of consumers. A normal consumer wouldn't want to spend $1000 for a xiaomi brand. Samsung, maybe. Apple, definitely. But Xiaomi? Come on, the elites and rich will not want to be seen holding a Xiaomi phone. The brand power is nowhere near even Samsung.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
What is this thread??? I'm assuming you're... joking???

Because while its cool Xiomi managed to stuff a 1" (format) sensor inside a smartphone, and image quality should be quite good as long as they get image processing right... this is basically irrelevant for anyone outside of China ATM.

Also, they are not the first company to release a photography focused Smartphone with a larger format sensor or a crazy lens... Sharp gave it multiple attempts (before they were bought out,) as did a few other companies I believe. The problem generally tends to be that regular consumers just don't care enough about image/video quality for the tradeoffs required for such a large sensor to be worth it, and thus they don't sell well.

Not saying its impossible for this to change going forward or that I wouldn't personally be interested in an iPhone with a 1" sensor (🤤) but for most of Apple's (and Android's) user base they're probably better served by the current dual/tri camera setup.

Honestly I cannot tell the photo quality different between a high end 1” compact Sony camera and a normal DSLR
On the one hand I can understand how you could say that... Outdoors in good light even smartphone cameras have gotten quite capable these days... but on the other hand... that says a lot more about you/your photography than it does the 1" Sony Compact or DSLR's actual image quality...
The difference between even 1" and 4/3 (let alone APS-C or Full-Frame) is fairly significant/obvious in many many situations...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Totally disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. I find there are a lot of occasions when my iPhone camera does a better job than my Canon R5.

Added later:

the A/B comparisons in the video are the same results that I see.

I would say maybe iPhones take better low light shots, depending on what DSLR or Mirrorless camera you're comparing to. But that's about it.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
What is this thread??? I'm assuming you're... joking???

Because while its cool Xiomi managed to stuff a 1" (format) sensor inside a smartphone, and image quality should be quite good as long as they get image processing right... this is basically irrelevant for anyone outside of China ATM.

Also, they are not the first company to release a photography focused Smartphone with a larger format sensor or a crazy lens... Sharp gave it multiple attempts (before they were bought out,) as did a few other companies I believe. The problem generally tends to be that regular consumers just don't care enough about image/video quality for the tradeoffs required for such a large sensor to be worth it, and thus they don't sell well.

Not saying its impossible for this to change going forward or that I wouldn't personally be interested in an iPhone with a 1" sensor (🤤) but for most of Apple's (and Android's) user base they're probably better served by the current dual/tri camera setup.

On the one hand I can understand how you could say that... Outdoors in good light even smartphone cameras have gotten quite capable these days... but on the other hand... that says a lot more about you/your photography than it does the 1" Sony Compact or DSLR's actual image quality...
The difference between even 1" and 4/3 (let alone APS-C or Full-Frame) is fairly significant/obvious in many many situations...

Sound like you didn't know what happened in few years. Xiomi phones do not only sell on China, and it's 1 inch phone is still pretty thin, not like many years ago 1 inch camera looking kind.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
LOOOOL,turns out the 1 inch camera sensor OP was talking about isnt even 1 inch. 🤣🤣🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.