Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maaij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
Hi,

I want to install XP on my duo core Mac mini. Do I need a special xom file for the Mac mini or can I use the file from the download site?

Thanks

jeehem

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
It works just fine on my Mac Mini Dual Core (installed it yesterday night !!!) :)
But I need Win XP drivers for my network card and sound etc...
Any clues where I can find these?

bhagiratha

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
I started doing this install, everything went fine except that my intel mac mini hang just as the installer was about to install the “setup” files. It stayed like that for about 30 mins and northing was happening.
I was wondering if I was surpose to have formated the partition 2. I think I did a full NTFS format.

where did I go wrong?

damon5334

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
bhagiratha said:
I started doing this install, everything went fine except that my intel mac mini hang just as the installer was about to install the “setup” files. It stayed like that for about 30 mins and northing was happening.
I was wondering if I was surpose to have formated the partition 2. I think I did a full NTFS format.

where did I go wrong?

Probably nowhere. I just installed it on my mini last night, and I ran into some trouble when it was going to copy the files from the CD (right after formatting the drive in the windows setup). Honestly, I just rebooted and tried again and again. Finally it worked. I'm not sure why the thing wouldn't "catch" before when trying to copy, but it will work.

Now... if we can just get someone to pony up another several grand for some video drivers. :)

bhagiratha

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
when I tried again, it doesn't take me back to the setup section. It boots up to the black and white screen ( where the patches were loaded) and hangs again. how do i go about re-installing from the very begining? must I reformat the drive again? I am hoping that I wouldn't have to do that.

Also, could it be possible that the external devices that I got connect to the mini is causing the problem. I got a dell 24" monitor, external firewire drive, printer, scanner, network cables etc.

Would it help if I disconnect all the other devices?

thanks

jlmodell

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2005
bhagiratha said:
when I tried again, it doesn't take me back to the setup section. It boots up to the black and white screen ( where the patches were loaded) and hangs again. how do i go about re-installing from the very begining? must I reformat the drive again? I am hoping that I wouldn't have to do that.

Also, could it be possible that the external devices that I got connect to the mini is causing the problem. I got a dell 24" monitor, external firewire drive, printer, scanner, network cables etc.

Would it help if I disconnect all the other devices?

thanks

hitting enter at the first black and white screen gets it going..

what is the reason why the 20" iimacs don't work yet? is it the lcd size.. i'm using a 20" lcd with my mac mini, and wondering if this is my issue.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
jlmodell said:
hitting enter at the first black and white screen gets it going..

what is the reason why the 20" iimacs don't work yet? is it the lcd size.. i'm using a 20" lcd with my mac mini, and wondering if this is my issue.

Apparently the problems are 'resolution problems', thats according to the onmac wiki. So if you're using a 20" ACD which has the same hires of the 20" imac then I guess you could have problems.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
After hours of trying to get it to work with Mac mini, I have a solution. The patch was done at a resolution of 1280 x 1024. You must have a monitor that supports that resolution, and you must choose that particular resolution in Mac OS X before running the Windows XP setup. That's the key. You don't need another BOOT file.

1. Boot into Mac OS X
- System Preferences
- Display
- Resolution
-1280 x 1024

2. Restart

3. Boot with your XP disc

:)

mr breaker

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
joshuawaire said:
After hours of trying to get it to work with Mac mini, I have a solution. The patch was done at a resolution of 1280 x 1024. You must have a monitor that supports that resolution, and you must choose that particular resolution in Mac OS X before running the Windows XP setup. That's the key. You don't need another BOOT file.

1. Boot into Mac OS X
- System Preferences
- Display
- Resolution
-1280 x 1024

2. Restart

3. Boot with your XP disc

:)

Thanks for the tip! Same thing happened to me. As soon as I had the resolution set correctly, it worked without a hitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.