Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D'Illusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Is it possible to install XP on the new Sandy Bridge MBPs ?

I have just tried and it stalled at "Windows is inspecting your hardware configuration".

I went through the options again in Bootcamp and noticed it said I need an authentic copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate.

:(

Last edited:

D'Illusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks for that. That's a crapper. I only need it for bits and dabs but do actually need it.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
It's not supported anymore. I'd suggest getting a copy of Parallels and just virtualize XP.

There really isn't any way around it as XP drivers are different from Vista/7 drivers.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if you could just use the individual drivers for the 2010 MacBook pro except for chipset and video. Intel is very likely to support windows xp drivers since they will use the same graphics chip in many laptops. The chipset drivers might not even be necessary unless you need high speed USB or lightpeak.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
hate to bump an old thread, but the same thing has been happening to me! i have a copy of xp pro sp3 that ive always used to install xp on my older windows machines and macbook pros. however, whenever i reboot into boot camp to install xp, it gets stuck and hangs at "windows is inspecting your hardware configuration". is there really nothing we can do about it?

i figured out that most, if not all of the drivers would work just fine in xp.

Madman12

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I´ve tried too. Even though the last MBA didn´t support XP, it was possible to install it. On the 2011 MBP, nobody have been able to install XP through the ¨boot camp assistant¨. At least nobody claim being able. So how did Apple make that so hard? I can´t believe it´s impossible.
Madman

Madman12

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Only W7. And it's an easy install. But who's gonna be the first to get XP in there? DVD Jon?
Madman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.