Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
What Windows OS is best? I want something that works give me long (as possible) battery life and doesn't take too much space.
What do you recommend?

Thanks

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Do Windows 7. By far the best. XP runs fast but has security issues. Windows 7 is fast and secure. Still has all the features too.

SMC1991

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
Another vote for 7.

Xp is antiquated, and there's no reason to use Vista over 7.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Not only is Windows 7 practically free at the moment, it's fast and good to use. XP is a bit old in many ways; still a good OS. Vista is good too (I like it and never had problem), but 7 is what Vista should have been.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Thanks for all the replies, seems W7 is the way to go. I read it takes 14 G of HD space and that is at a premium on the MBA, Anyway to do what we do with OS X and minimize the install?
Either during the installation or after? I cant imagine all 14 G is needed, or?

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Not quite in agreement.
I've been using win xp professional for many years now. I've yet to find any software which isn't compatible. It is not an hungry OS. I'm still running it on a 2003 vintage Dell Latitude 600, with a Centrino 1.6 Ghz processor, 512 Mb ram and 20 Gb HD. Plenty of space and speedness.
About security: if it's an original licensed version keep it up to date and it'll work flawlessly. And use a free antivirus (I use Avira).
Vista is crap. Win 7 people say it's better, however it won't be compatible with several old software and hardware. And I'm sure it'll require more space and hardware than XP.

aussie.damo

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
Definitely Windows 7. I run it via BootCamp and it's very nice.

Windows XP is small, stable and reliable; however, Windows 7 offers some nice enhancements over it that make it worthwhile going to. As others have said, it's what Vista should have been. Since it's so good, it's likely more people will adopt it, meaning Windows XP will become even more obsolete.

Damo

MickeyVee

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
XP has been quite stable for me.
I'm not a big fan of bootcamp and run XP under VMware Fusion. Have 9GB allocated and have office, Visio & Quicken running in the virtual machine. Memory set to 640mb and it runs as fast as my Dell D610.
One nice thing about running in a VM is that if you use a backup utility such as SuperDuper!, you're also backing up your Windows system.
As far as minimizing your Mac OS space.. Snow Leopard. You mention 14GB for Win 7.. what about applications & data?

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Yes I want to minimize the OS to make space for Apps and data. Therefor when I read that the OS itself takes 14 Gig in Win7 it makes me concerned.

Can I make a smaller system install of Win7?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yes I want to minimize the OS to make space for Apps and data. Therefor when I read that the OS itself takes 14 Gig in Win7 it makes me concerned.

Can I make a smaller system install of Win7?

My windows 7 is about 6GB total after updates. But the inital install will be big then smaller later on when you disable the preinstalled programs

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Ok, need to show my windowsignorance...:eek:

How do I do that and what programs could be candidates for that?

Thanks again

charliex5

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
I got a netbook with XP on it but loaded 7 on it when it became available as a beta. 7 was noticeably faster and smoother. I also had OSX on it and again, noticeably smoother (I realize OSX wasn't optimized for the netbook, but interesting nonetheless).

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Problem is that nothing shows up under program features... So does that mean I am stuck with 14Gigs?

In OS X there are tons of stuff you could remove, languages and printers.
Anything similar in Windows 7?

/Peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.