Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I thinking of upgrading my 24" iMac (16gb of ram) to a Mac Studio For most of my needs 32GB of Ram will be enough. Will there be a big (worth the extra money) benefit to Xplane12. Performance on the iMac leaves a lot to be desired but it does work with the visuals turned down. I know more is always better but the extra $400 can be put to better use elsewhere. Anyone using Plane with a base Studio care to chime in. Thanks

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Going from 8 Core GPU (I assume you have on the iMac) to 24 Core GPU on Mac Studio (again, I assume you're getting that one) and going from 16 GB to 32 GB will certainly boost performance significantly.

On iMac M1 X-Plane 12 is seriously GPU limited. On the 24 Core GPU Mac Studio, you'll find that X-Plane 12 will be also somewhat GPU limited, but soooo much better that iMac M1!

As the RAM is shared between CPU and GPU and X-Plane uses A LOT OF IT, that will also make a huge difference.

For reference, I have an iMac M1 16 GB RAM 8 Core GPU, and a Mac Studio Max 64 GB RAM 32 Core GPU. The difference in performance is really very large.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.