Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I did not think they would un-sign iOS 14.8

The upgrade option to iOS 15.x was tempting but it's a good thing I did not upgrade... I already hate the changes introduced in iOS 14.x and I hate more the changes introduced in iOS 15.x

So if ever I will be able to buy an older model device, I'll keep it on whatever version it was at the time of purchase until the next iOS 14.x update becomes available...
Agreed. Personally I have hated most changes in iOS going back to 11. I think iOS peaked at 9 or 10 and has been progressively getting more bloated and unintuitive. I've been lucky to keep some old devices on 10, but it's getting hard to use due to lack of app support. Not interested in the new hardware or software.

Reactions: winxmac

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I think MR got tired of some people saying to stop posting articles informing about Apple no longer signing older firmware/OS versions...

Aside from iOS 14.8, iOS 12.5.4 also no longer signed...

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Off-topic: I'm not sure if it was just issued today or a few days ago since iOS 15 release...

There is a new terms and conditions for iCloud use... I have only enabled the Contacts in iCloud in Settings but the rest are disabled... All my contacts are still there when I accessed the Phone app but they might disappear and may only be viewable on iCloud.com or available again locally once I agree to the new terms and conditions...

Is this related to the impending implementation of CSAM detection? Who knows?

Found this when I searched for relevant information: iCloud new terms and conditions

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I think MR got tired of some people saying to stop posting articles informing about Apple no longer signing older firmware/OS versions...

Aside from iOS 14.8, iOS 12.5.4 also no longer signed...

There's a difference between "this random 1.2.3 release is no longer signed" and "The latest version of iOS 14, which Apple promised to keep supporting, is no longer signed". That's why I thought this was topic-worthy.

Your version is just slightly too old, the capability for the Settings app to provide a version choice when updating was added in 14.5.

This is a new thing so we don't really know how it will work, we're going to have to wait and see if Apple starts signing a version of iOS 14 again in the future.

This is 100% correct.

Before iOS 14.5, the Settings app was configured to show the newest available update and that's all it would offer. In 14.5, they changed it to offer the newest release of iOS 14 with an "Upgrade to iOS 15" button at the bottom of the screen.

All my devices I use regularly were on iOS 14.7. When iOS 14.8 came out, Software Update picked it up and offered to install it.

I have an iPad 2017 I don't use often. It was still running iOS 14.3. When I went into Software Update, the only available option was iOS 15. There was no way to update to 14.8 over the air because Apple hadn't built the option yet.

I updated to iOS 15, didn't like the new Home Screen grid at all, then used an IPSW to downgrade it to 14.8.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
This is 100% correct.

Before iOS 14.5, the Settings app was configured to show the newest available update and that's all it would offer. In 14.5, they changed it to offer the newest release of iOS 14 with an "Upgrade to iOS 15" button at the bottom of the screen.

I don‘t think this is correct. I am on both iPadOS & iOS 13.x and the Settings app offered me both 14 and 15 prior to Apple un-signing 14.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don‘t think this is correct. I am on both iPadOS & iOS 13.x and the Settings app offered me both 14 and 15 prior to Apple un-signing 14.
iOS 14.8 still shows up on 14.5 - 14.7.1 devices even now. Earlier versions don't support this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.