Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So

• Yes

Votes: 31 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 109 65.7%
  • Tough call!

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
The only people they would do that are the ones that dislike the weight, size and FaceID on the XR.
All solid reasons and deal breakers for the XR.

I mean in my case I would've got the XR if only it was smaller and weighed less, but Apple didn't deliver a smaller option.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have iPhone XR and am seriously contemplating the switch because I prefer a smaller form factor and lighter weight. I hate having something so bulky in my pocket. Will I miss the screen size, though... that is the question.

how do you feel about losing FaceID? faceID is nice, especially with an Auto Unlock tweak I have (if there's no notifications, unlock to home screen as soon as it detects my face which is most often near instant) but I'm sick of mashing in my passcode when it fails at random times with a ton of sunlight, or sunglasses on, or especially laying in bed

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tough Call! Do you want a large screen and more battery life or a smaller screen and more power? Lol.

I think most would be happy with either phone, I would rather get the XR if I was shopping in that category.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Seems like the only people that would think about doing this are those who ultimately didn't like the size of their XR or who greatly miss touchID.
My dad has an 11 and he wants to go back to something smaller. TouchID has never worked for him though, so I'm hoping the rumors of a 5.4" iPhone 12 pan out.

Reactions: Donfor39

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018
I’ve had the XR since launch and still have not gotten completely used to the size, but I still voted “no” because I like FaceID and the extra screen space enough to wait until the 12 to see what other options I’ll have.

Just another anecdotal bit, I used to think the 6/7/8 form factor was too big and thought the original SE size was good, but now that I’ve had the XR for a while, I find the 6/7/8 size good. So everything is somewhat relative...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It depends. Do you value more screen real estate? Or a device that is a bit more compact?

For me, I'll take a compact device everyday. If I need more screen real estate, I grab my iPad Pro.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It depends. Do you value more screen real estate? Or a device that is a bit more compact?

For me, I'll take a compact device everyday. If I need more screen real estate, I grab my iPad Pro.
This.

Ever since the iPad 3, I always got LTE iPads and by 2013 (iPad Air), it was small enough to fit in all my purses so it was easy to carry around everywhere.

I actually got the iPhone 6+ first to see if I can ditch the iPad. Loved the battery life but found it too big to use as a phone and too small to use as a more compact tablet replacement. It wasn't pocketable and I had to carry it in purse same as the iPad. I ended up replacing the 6+ with a 6 after 2-3 months.

Reactions: Donfor39

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I might get the new iPhone SE I have the iPhone 11 but I dislike Face ID I do love Touch ID so this would be a nic upgrade and the new iPhone SE has WiFi 6 wish is a surprise

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you are thinking of buying either the XR or SE now, the SE has a lot for it (it's $200 cheaper for one).
However, if you're already an XR owner, there's no point in buying the SE unless you must have TouchID. There's really no notable features you'll get for going to the SE other than maybe Wifi 6. The 2020 SE is targeted towards those still on the 6/6s/7/old SE.

Reactions: NewUsername

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
If you are thinking of buying either the XR or SE now, the SE has a lot for it (it's $200 cheaper for one).
However, if you're already an XR owner, there's no point in buying the SE unless you must have TouchID. There's really no notable features you'll get for going to the SE other than maybe Wifi 6. The 2020 SE is targeted towards those still on the 6/6s/7/old SE.

well that’s your point of view. Some people like my self may get rid of iPhone 11 that has Face ID and get the new iPhone Touch ID wish I miss my self on a iPhone. I sure do love it on my iPad

on the plus side the place that requires you to where masks in public now might be other reason user might get rid of the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11pro model and get iPhone se has Face ID won’t work with a mask on so this would be a great option for them has well

Reactions: YaBoiD

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s a preference of Face ID versus touch ID. The fact that Apple resurrected touch ID on this new phone says milestones for those who maybe don’t have experience with face ID or simply don’t care to.

Touch ID was completely refined with the iPhone 8, so it’s refreshing to see it’s still here for one more generation of an iPhone.

Reactions: snipr125

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
well that’s your point of view. Some people like my self may get rid of iPhone 11 that has Face ID and get the new iPhone Touch ID wish I miss my self on a iPhone. I sure do love it on my iPad

on the plus side the place that requires you to where masks in public now might be other reason user might get rid of the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11pro model and get iPhone se has Face ID won’t work with a mask on so this would be a great option for them has well
I already said that the SE can be an option if you must have TouchID. How is that different than your point?

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Tough call. Considering the price, the specs are good but I think I'm good with my phone for now. I'm not downgrading to lower specs lol
[automerge]1586972319[/automerge]
Tough call. Considering the price, the specs are good but I think I'm good with my phone for now. I'm not downgrading to lower specs

Found the specs on gsmarena. And considering the battery life, that's a...

tenor.gif

did I just used a reverse card on myself? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Tough call. Considering the price, the specs are good but I think I'm good with my phone for now. I'm not downgrading to lower specs lol
[automerge]1586972319[/automerge]

did I just used a reverse card on myself? lol

there are upgrades tho like camera and a13

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I might get the new iPhone SE I have the iPhone 11 but I dislike Face ID I do love Touch ID so this would be a nic upgrade and the new iPhone SE has WiFi 6 wish is a surprise
It will also have gigabyte class LTE just like the 11 series

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Do you think the SE2 will be as loud and clear as an XR (both earpiece and bottom speaker I'm referring to) or will take that a nosedive? Camera without nightlight, appreciable difference vs XR camera?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.