Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all. My provider ion Canada has brand new iPhone XS and iPhone XR 64g for 20$ (22,98 with taxes) for a 2 years contract. That would be 552 $ CDN at the end of the contract. Much less that those used I was looking for. Here, XS 64g is between 675$ and even (stupid I know) 1000$. XR 64g is between 650$ and 850$. Which is too much to ask for my part. Question: for the same price, what model would you go for. Both have tremendous reviews. The only thing I wish I could hold on to is 3D Touch that I use a lot on my old 6s and XS has it. But of course I wouldn't mind an Amoled screen too. So if the screen of the XS is 5,8 inc that means it's like that of a 6s Plus instead of the 4,7 inc of my 6s. But I'm also much attracted to the 6,1 inch of the XR. Provider has only black for the XR but black and Gold for the XS. Maybe I seem to have made up my mind, but I come to you for a little kick in the a%$ maybe.

Thanks a lot

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Hello to you all. My provider ion Canada has brand new iPhone XS and iPhone XR 64g for 20$ (22,98 with taxes) for a 2 years contract. That would be 552 $ CDN at the end of the contract. Much less that those used I was looking for. Here, XS 64g is between 675$ and even (stupid I know) 1000$. XR 64g is between 650$ and 850$. Which is too much to ask for my part. Question: for the same price, what model would you go for. Both have tremendous reviews. The only thing I wish I could hold on to is 3D Touch that I use a lot on my old 6s and XS has it. But of course I wouldn't mind an Amoled screen too. So if the screen of the XS is 5,8 inc that means it's like that of a 6s Plus instead of the 4,7 inc of my 6s. But I'm also much attracted to the 6,1 inch of the XR. Provider has only black for the XR but black and Gold for the XS. Maybe I seem to have made up my mind, but I come to you for a little kick in the a%$ maybe.

Thanks a lot
XS=Amoled, extra camera. XR=LCD, single camera. I've had both and XS is better phone, but smaller screen.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
The Xs is hands down the better phone.
I was also upgrading from a 6s about a year and a half ago and compared both phones extensively (along with the X). Here are just a few of the things that made the difference for me personally:
1. The significantly higher resolution (458 PPI vs 326) OLED screen just makes everything look so much better (and if you're willing to use dark mode extends battery life)
2. One handed usability is just so much better on the Xs at 5.8" than the Xr at 6.1.
3. The telephoto lens opens up so many more photographic opportunities AND is amazing if you ever attend conferences for work and want to say, snapshot a slide or something from a distance.
4. 4GB of RAM vs 3GB on the Xr (Nice to have today and we'll matter more as the phone ages).
5. 3D Touch (!), IP68 (better water resistance), and its lighter

I'm sure there are people out there who do like the larger size, and if the Xr was priced appropriately (as it originally was) I still think its a great choice but for the same price I would say go with the Xs without hesitation. That said... If you don't HAVE to upgrade now I think buying an iPhone in August is always a poor proposition...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
XR

I've used both and the XR offers a better overall experience due to battery and larger display.

Telephoto isn't very important for most users. With regards to 3D Touch, iOS 13 removes most of those features, so both XR and XS are essentially the same.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Ive had both and much preferred the XS. Better screen and smaller and lighter. The XR does have an excellent battery life though.

Depends what you value. I gladly sacrificed the weight and heft and battery life for something slimmer and lighter with worse battery life. It’s a trade off. For others that might not be a trade off they’re willing to do.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Check the price. Make sure it's not a three year contract.

Then it's entirely up to you: XR = bigger screen, much longer battery life. XS = higher quality screen, better camera, less weight. Take what's more important to you. I'd take the XR, but that's just me.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Thanks to you all. I give it a last 2 hours thought and I place the command. Coming from a 4.7 inch 6s, I don't think the 5,8 inch of the Xs will appear small to me. It's even bigger than that of the 8 Plus I was eying.

Reactions: LFC2020

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
You’ll like it. I have it’s bigger brother and it rips pretty good. I came from a 7 so you should be more more impressed than I was. I’ve had mine for about 6 months and I like it, and so far it handles iOS 14 with ease.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Coming from a person who just switched his SIM from the iPhone 11 (non pro) to the iPhone XS 256GB... this one is certainly a no brained to me. iPhone XS all day everyday.

Yes the XR has a bigger screen, but the screen isn’t tiny on the XS. The display is more crisp and the camera is better.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I tend to keep my phones (and my cars) a long time. This is why I put some effort in finding the proper phone for me and my usage which is very very basic by today standards. Not even social media. None. By choice. Is that foolish to holding so much on 3D Touch? I have always been a big user. BTW, a little survey amongst friends and 6/6 would go for the XR. 2 reasons: bigger screen and more colors to chose from. Anyhow, I will command Saturday (tomorrow for me at the time I type).
[automerge]1598069772[/automerge]
Check the price. Make sure it's not a three year contract.

Then it's entirely up to you: XR = bigger screen, much longer battery life. XS = higher quality screen, better camera, less weight. Take what's more important to you. I'd take the XR, but that's just me.
Absolutely. Thanks for the reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.