Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
So Apple claims the iPhone XS has 30 minutes more battery life than the X yet I’m actually seeing a lot less battery life than my X! If I charged my X to 100% the night before and took it off the charger before I went to bed, I’d be at around 30-35% at around the same time the night after and charge it up and do it all over again. I can’t even make it past 9:30pm the night after with my XS and I give it the same usage throughout the day as my X. I thought this thing was supposed to be more power sufficient and I’m just not seeing it. Seeing the totally opposite actually.

Anyone else observing similar results?

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
Same apps, same exact setup.

I was getting a bit worse battery too coming from the X, after everything settled though a few days, it was fine. I also noticed I was using it a lot more taking pictures and video because I was very excited about the improvements on the camera and stuff. So you might not realize it but you could be using it a lot more. Now I can go 2 days without charging my phone which is about half a day longer than my X.

TitanicManDC

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
I think the XS battery has about 100 mAH less than the X. Apple claims it evens out after factoring in efficiency from the A12.

Reactions: eagerwu

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I was getting a bit worse battery too coming from the X, after everything settled though a few days, it was fine. I also noticed I was using it a lot more taking pictures and video because I was very excited about the improvements on the camera and stuff. So you might not realize it but you could be using it a lot more. Now I can go 2 days without charging my phone which is about half a day longer than my X.

Wow, that’s impressive. Do you have the XS or XS Max?
[doublepost=1539489821][/doublepost]
I think the XS battery has about 100 mAH less than the X. Apple claims it evens out after factoring in efficiency from the A12.

They actually claime an extra 30 minutes of screen on time.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
How much standby battery drain are you getting with your X on iOS 12? And XS? I mean overnight.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I experienced the same as the OP. Since launch I have tried the Max and regular XS. The Max I wanted to like and keep, but besides screen size and some camera improvements I was having trouble justifying it over my X. I returned the Max and while walking out of the Apple Store I told myself I just didn’t like the big screen on the Max and went ahead and bought the XS in space gray. I’ve always been a fan of “black” or gray iPhones and since my X was silver I figured I’d give it a try.

After 5 days I was figuring I had gotten over the initial “honeymoon” period and starting noticing things lol. I personally couldn’t notice any real world speed difference and I noticed I was getting less battery life then on my previous X. I just decided I was having buyers remorse and took it back to Apple and stuck with my X.

I realize the XS and Max isn’t “technically” aimed at anyone with the iPhone X, but I have always upgraded yearly since the 4S.

Of course since I returned the XS I have been trying to tell myself I still need the XS or Max lol.

TLDR; I basically experienced the same thing as OP, took my XS back though I still sometimes tell myself I need the XS:D:apple:

Reactions: mpshah27

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Since dropping down to the X from the 8 Plus I was very comfortable using the X. I have big hands and could very comfortably use it with one hand which was nice and convenient. Then I went to the XS Max and I remember all the hand cramping the plus sized phones give me since it’s even harder to use with one hand than the 8 Plus because of no bezels. I’ve always put up with the bigger phones for the battery life but always preferred the smaller form factor. I also never liked the feeling of having a dinner plate in my pocket especially with tight fitting pants or even loose athletic pants or shorts.

Maybe the phones need to “calibrate” or reindex before the better battery life starts to show?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I've also had this issue and took into the genius bar. The diagnostic revealed nothing. He told me to reset all settings. If that doesn't work reset device and use without restore from backup to determine if it's a software or backup related issue.

Did you restore from icloud backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.