Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I typically use my iPhone with only a clear skin on the back and sides... mostly to help with grip.

I noticed the new iPhones in stores seem to be a bit grippier than I remember naked phones being in the past (maybe it’s all the grease and booger’s from the kids playing with them?!).

Are the new phones any grippier? How does the glass/stainless actually hold up to day to day use?

treyhunnid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
first thing I noticed when held one at a apple store. yes they are grippier in stores. my actual unit is not slippery but not crazy grippy like the display models. probably done for good reason.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I typically use my iPhone with only a clear skin on the back and sides... mostly to help with grip.

I noticed the new iPhones in stores seem to be a bit grippier than I remember naked phones being in the past (maybe it’s all the grease and booger’s from the kids playing with them?!).

Are the new phones any grippier? How does the glass/stainless actually hold up to day to day use?

The gold stainless has a grippier texture, I believe it’s due to the PVD coating that is used to help against scratches.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
The gold stainless has a grippier texture, I believe it’s due to the PVD coating that is used to help against scratches.
You’re right. Brought a silver home tonight, and nowhere near as tacky as the gold on display. Too bad apple doesn’t treat all their phones with the PVD coating. I could be without a case/skin!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.