Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hi all,

I'm considering moving up to a phablet from my old iPad mini. As far as I can tell, the 6/6S/7/8 Plus models were the pinnacle of tablet functionality in an iPhone, with lots of niceties when used landscape like an option to show tabs in Safari, dual-pane Mail/Notes/etc. views and even a landscape home screen.

Doing some reading around, it sounds like the recent Max models retain most of those special features, but not all. Two examples I've learnt of are that the Max models have no landscape home screen, and that in Mail rather than a proper landscape split dual-pane view the Max models show a list of e-mails in a pane on top of the wider e-mail preview. (Yet, oddly, they do retain the proper dual-pane split views in Notes etc. apparently.)

So, can anyone with experience of using Plus and Max models in landscape please tell me, what other functional differences in the stock apps are there between how the two work?

Thanks in advance!

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Had XS Max. Everything you said is correct. My advice is to check out your local Best Buy or cell phone store if you have one to see for yourself. I moved to the 11 and it offers the same landscape abilities. Really don’t use them often or care about them, personally.

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks for that. Incidentally, I had a play with an iPhone simulator online last night and I discovered that the Files app is also like Mail in that its landscape behaviour is different on a Max vs. a Plus phone. I wonder if there're any other undocumented functional differences in landscape mode between the two phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.