Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Hi,

pure theoretical for now

if its proven that Xs Max has hardware issues related to antennas, will you still only be able to return it within 14 days, or will apple do some sort of arrangement? is there any history of hardware issues acknowledged and fixed free of charge? i, like lots other, only have 1 week left of the 14 day return policy, and with all the talk going on im really not sure what to do. i have lousy cellular reception on the Xs Max, but everything else is great on the device - but - after all it is a phone, and should have good cellular reception.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
1. Apple would never admit it is a H/W defect. They just went with the cheap modem. I have the intel iPhone X from last year and have similar problems.
2. They would have to take back every single phone.
3. If you are having the issue, take it back now.

My opinion.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Thanks guys, not what I was hoping for, but your statements make sense.. i can always purchase it again if it proves to be software and is corrected.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Hi,

just wanted to share a result of more indepth testing I did to make sure im not returning the Max for no reason. I brought my old Android (Huawei Mate 10 Lite) so that i could test the former phone in the same spot, same sim, same carrier, and it actually turns out that they have similar crappy results on 4G. Meaning that at least my Xs Max does NOT seem to have significant antenna issues. So at least in my case (not saying other don't have issues) it boils down to lack of reception and carrier.

There is no big differences in my opinion. Same carrier, sim and location.
XsMax vs Mate10.jpg

I'll keep my Xs Max, feeling more calm now, I'm so happy to be back to ios, Android is not for me.

Last edited:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I think with the reception issues being reported, rather you are or aren’t having significant issues it makes you wonder if you should return it. It’s a lot of money to settle for crappy reception for a couple of years. So I do think by Friday of next week there will be a lot of returns unless a fix rolls out. Which is highly doubtful.

Reactions: Eagle1337

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
I think with the reception issues being reported, rather you are or aren’t having significant issues it makes you wonder if you should return it. It’s a lot of money to settle for crappy reception for a couple of years. So I do think by Friday of next week there will be a lot of returns unless a fix rolls out. Which is highly doubtful.

I fully agree. I had the same doubt. Rather return it while i could, and if it shows to be fixable with software, i could always purchase it again. But as it seems to be ok for me, ill stick to it. But i really get that some have doubts and want to return, its a lot of money, you need to be satisfied with a purchase of ~1500 dollars for the 64GB one (Denmark prices with tax).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
1. Apple would never admit it is a H/W defect. They just went with the cheap modem. I have the intel iPhone X from last year and have similar problems.
2. They would have to take back every single phone.
3. If you are having the issue, take it back now.

My opinion.
I’ve had the intel modem in the UK for a few years now so I don’t think it’s just down to the modem. I think it will get fixed with a software update. Can’t really say if I’m having issues yet as I’ve only had the phone a day. I remember with the 7 plus there were some issues switching from 3G to 4G but it got fixed later on.

Reactions: Eagle1337

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Hi,

just wanted to share a result of more indepth testing I did to make sure im not returning the Max for no reason. I brought my old Android (Huawei Mate 10 Lite) so that i could test the former phone in the same spot, same sim, same carrier, and it actually turns out that they have similar crappy results on 4G. Meaning that at least my Xs Max does NOT seem to have significant antenna issues. So at least in my case (not saying other don't have issues) it boils down to lack of reception and carrier.

There is no big differences in my opinion. Same carrier, sim and location. View attachment 789896

I'll keep my Xs Max, feeling more calm now, I'm so happy to be back to ios, Android is not for me.

Did you test those all in the same place or did you go around town where the bars dropped to 1 instead of 2 or 3? Your picture shows 3 bars, and that will not cause problems. Both phones should work just fine. Go to an area with 1 bar and see how you will have no connection on the max, while older iPhones will remain connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.