Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I was wondering if it was worth it as well. $29 for a crack screen repair isn't bad, but I have used tempered glass screens and Spigen cases for years. I have dropped my phones a few times, but no cracked screens or anything of that nature. I have a $25 Apple Store gift card, so I was able to get it for $175 before tax.

Apparently, Chase allows you to get a 1 year extended warranty as a perk even with installment plans on iPhones. They just want you to pay off the installments before your first claim. The first claim would come after 12 months if anything. Though I am wondering since I am 100% invested in the iPhone for 2-3 years, insurance may be a good investment.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
It's worth it for $199. No case or screen protector is near 100%; they are not substitutes for insurance. And that back glass is $599 to fix without Applecare, only $299 with.

And if you swap up to a new phone then you get a refund of the unused prorated portion (or just pay monthly for $9.99)

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
It's worth it for $199. No case or screen protector is near 100%; they are not substitutes for insurance. And that back glass is $599 to fix without Applecare, only $299 with.

And if you swap up to a new phone then you get a refund of the unused prorated portion (or just pay monthly for $9.99)

When you say "$299 with" - I assume you area including the cost of AppleCare+ because the cost for a complete replacement is $99. Just for clarity.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

If you know if you will use a phone for 2+ years, then monthly comes out more if you can afford to pay it in a lump sum.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Purchased, and just today, purchased Apple care for the missus Max, too.
Pricey, but, best to be safe, than sorry. After all, these devices are far from 'cheap' now.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think AppleCare might be the safest route for a $999 or $1099 device. With SquareTrade and other credit card company plans, you might have to be given an estimate to be reimbursed later or pay higher deductibles. $29 for screen repairs and $99 for other damage is better than $299 or $529 repair fees.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Even if I have the IUP?! My X I’m about to ship back still has it and I’ve never used any replacements.

I don't have IUP, but my understanding is that it's the standard AppleCare+ ... the price is just included with the price of the phone in the IUP cost.

With AppleCare+ purchased with a device, you get two incidents covered within the 2 year period. The third incident is not covered ... and if you cancel AppleCare+, you get a prorated refund - a refund of the unused portion of the cost... so long as you have not filed a claim/gotten a repair or replacement under the coverage... if you use it even once, you cannot cancel for a prorated refund.

The Lions Den

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
I will probably end up getting Applecare.

I have a Wells Fargo credit card so apparently they’ve got me covered with phone insurance but my god has it been a hassle. I broke my 7 plus screen, i filed claims and all that but still haven’t heard from them.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I think AppleCare might be the safest route for a $999 or $1099 device. With SquareTrade and other credit card company plans, you might have to be given an estimate to be reimbursed later or pay higher deductibles. $29 for screen repairs and $99 for other damage is better than $299 or $529 repair fees.

329/599 on the Max actually.

far cheaper getting contents insurance..these prices are a joke really

And when you make a claim your rates go up too. There are no free lunches using traditional insurance.

I will probably end up getting Applecare.

I have a Wells Fargo credit card so apparently they’ve got me covered with phone insurance but my god has it been a hassle. I broke my 7 plus screen, i filed claims and all that but still haven’t heard from them.

Bingo, insurance is not in the business of paying out. Applecare is hassle free 99% of the time absent something not covered like water damage.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
329/599 on the Max actually.

And when you make a claim your rates go up too. There are no free lunches using traditional insurance.

Bingo, insurance is not in the business of paying out. Applecare is hassle free 99% of the time absent something not covered like water damage.

It's nice to have considering saving even more on the Max repairs. Others will too. Fingers crossed I can baby my device and not deal with issues.

Can't help but feel for Hurricane Harvey/Maria/Irma/Florence/Etc victims losing their homes and not be able to get insurance to cover due to some sneaky clauses or huge restrictions.

It doesn't help that insurance companies often help write laws and ordinances, so the average purchaser cannot have enough bargaining power to get things done properly and efficaciously.

After Hurricane Matthew, my friend's insurance company didn't want to pay for property damage coverage to his roof, walls, etc. His family had to hire an attorney just to get the insurance company to pay out properly and it took 2 years to get anything done on the house.
[doublepost=1537879221][/doublepost]
far cheaper getting contents insurance..these prices are a joke really

But considering what the deductibles are or the claims process? If an iPhone was covered, I would have a $500 deductible on a standard renters' insurance for property damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.