Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
My launch day XS Max is at 86%. It says “peak performance capability” but I can’t get through even a day anymore. Is this normal? I tried to “reset all settings” first to see if anything changes... it didn’t. If I skipped a day of charging my phone, I could pretty much get two days out of it. Now I can’t get one at 86% capacity. Is that normal?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My launch day XS Max is at 86%. It says “peak performance capability” but I can’t get through even a day anymore. Is this normal? I tried to “reset all settings” first to see if anything changes... it didn’t. If I skipped a day of charging my phone, I could pretty much get two days out of it. Now I can’t get one at 86% capacity. Is that normal?
With 80% essentially being the line when the battery is considered to be in poor condition, 86% is certainly closer to that than being in a good range (let's say above 90%), so depending on your usage and your signal conditions and all that you might certainly be feeling the effects on battery life.

Reactions: dmillar74

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Apple won’t do anything for you unless the battery reaches 80% capacity before your warranty is up. Of course you could pay for a battery replacement yourself if it bothers you... Battery degradation is different for everyone so establishing what is normal or not is very subjective

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I had my Xs Max battery replaced by Apple a few weeks ago. I had to have the phone repaired anyway, so I just had the battery done at the same time. The charge was a very reasonable $79 plus tax. I think that my battery was at 84% at the time. I wasn't necessarily noticing problems with battery life, at least not that dramatic, but I simply decided to take advantage of the fact that I was having the phone repaired anyway, and save myself the trouble of having to do it in a few months.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My almost launch day xs max is at 98%. I don't care if it lasts a minute longer than a day, the cutoff line for me is last my day, whatever that means on a particular day.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
This is completely normal. Mine was at 80% weeks ago when I traded it in.

Note: Wireless charging will degrade the hell out of your battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.