Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Update issue - my old SE is on 14.8, just got an XS Max that is on 14.4.2 but OTA only offering an update to 15.1.

Don't see any FW on ipsw.me to upgrade to in iTunes...what options are there? Do I have to wait for the next release (14.8.2?) and manually update to that? What if there is no FW posted just like 14.8.1?

fromsixtozero

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019
I think the option to either stay on ios 14 or update to ios 15 was implemented since iOS 14.6 or so. Previous version do not have this option and can update just to the latst version. And you can´t update to 14.6 anymore. So not sure it is possible.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I think the option to either stay on ios 14 or update to ios 15 was implemented since iOS 14.6 or so. Previous version do not have this option and can update just to the latst version. And you can´t update to 14.6 anymore. So not sure it is possible.
Sigh...so when Apple said users can stay on iOS 14 what they meant was, there was a brief window where it was possible but if you miss it, you MUST use ios15. So I can't even get security updates and am running a version of iOS that is actively being exploited, while Craig Federeghi says "Sideloading on iPhone Would Open the Floodgates to Malware". great.

One last idea - what if I create an iTunes backup of my current SE on 14.8 to my Mac and then restore the XS Max from that backup, is this possible?

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Sigh...so when Apple said users can stay on iOS 14 what they meant was, there was a brief window where it was possible but if you miss it, you MUST use ios15. So I can't even get security updates and am running a version of iOS that is actively being exploited, while Craig Federeghi says "Sideloading on iPhone Would Open the Floodgates to Malware". great.

One last idea - what if I create an iTunes backup of my current SE on 14.8 to my Mac and then restore the XS Max from that backup, is this possible?
Unfortunately not. You have to be on 14.5 or later to stay on the iOS 14 update cycle. After that, your only other option is iOS 15. Apple may change that in the future, but at the moment that's your only option. Is there any reason you wouldn't wanna upgrade to iOS 15 if I may ask?

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Unfortunately not. You have to be on 14.5 or later to stay on the iOS 14 update cycle. After that, your only other option is iOS 15. Apple may change that in the future, but at the moment that's your only option. Is there any reason you wouldn't wanna upgrade to iOS 15 if I may ask?
just seems so strange to even offer it that way - now they have a tiny slice of users for which they will maintain and provide security updates for, outside of iOS 15?

iOS 14 has been stable for me and honestly, the only new feature in iOS 15 that really grabbed my attention is the new Wallet key/pass types, but even those have been vaporware since WWDC. Other than updating for the sake of updating, thats about it.

the more I think about this its actually user hostile - it literally says this is an option on the iOS 15 Features page:

iOS now offers a choice between two software update versions in the Settings app. You can update to the latest version of iOS 15 as soon as it's released for the latest features and most complete set of security updates. Or continue on iOS 14 and still get important security updates until you're ready to upgrade to the next major version.

Last edited:

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
just seems so strange to even offer it that way - now they have a tiny slice of users for which they will maintain and provide security updates for, outside of iOS 15?

iOS 14 has been stable for me and honestly, the only new feature in iOS 15 that really grabbed my attention is the new Wallet key/pass types, but even those have been vaporware since WWDC. Other than updating for the sake of updating, thats about it.

the more I think about this its actually user hostile - it literally says this is an option on the iOS 15 Features page:
Yeah I agree it doesn’t make sense to not let any and everyone who wants stay on the latest version of 14 but who knows their thought process on it. I feel like it’d be very easy to leave a signed ipsw of 14.8.1 but for whatever reason they’ve chosen not to.

fromsixtozero

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019
Yeah I think ultimately they want us all on ios 15 as quick as possible to be able to stop supporting ios 14 on devices which are ios 15 capable, or they simply drew a line for this feature and don’t care anymore..

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Yeah I agree it doesn’t make sense to not let any and everyone who wants stay on the latest version of 14 but who knows their thought process on it. I feel like it’d be very easy to leave a signed ipsw of 14.8.1 but for whatever reason they’ve chosen not to.
It's just a stop gap measure to reduce backlash on iOS 15 bugs and the soon coming CSAM. After a short while they will stop updating iOS 14 I'm sure.

Reactions: fromsixtozero

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
It's just a stop gap measure to reduce backlash on iOS 15 bugs and the soon coming CSAM. After a short while they will stop updating iOS 14 I'm sure.
this is part of the problem - you can no longer have continual security updates and stability without also accepting new functionality added in. Any device on ios15 must now accept new functionality added in .2, .3, .4 etc. in order to remain secure.

personally ios14 is stable and fine for me. just would like security updates. we are not allowed to update manually, we are not allowed to side load. we were told we could stay on ios14 and receive security updates. the walled garden and its increasing hostility are getting tiring.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The funny thing is I'd be more likely to install iOS 15 on my devices if I knew I could go back if I ran into something. Instead I don't get that option and have to stay put.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.