Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I like my Max and will be keeping it. I love the camera, the speed, all of that. And yet.. I have to admit to myself that the form factor is less aesthetically pleasing than the Plus models. It’s simply too tall and skinny, to the point of looking awkward. The content on the screen looks way too tall and gives it the optical illusion of almost looking squeezed.

I’m surprised at my reaction because most of the reviews praised it as being more elegant than the Plus phones. But — it’s just not.

Reactions: kanon14

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I like my Max and will be keeping it. I love the camera, the speed, all of that. And yet.. I have to admit to myself that the form factor is less aesthetically pleasing than the Plus models. It’s simply too tall and skinny, to the point of looking awkward. The content on the screen looks way too tall and gives it the optical illusion of almost looking squeezed.

I’m surprised at my reaction because most of the reviews praised it as being more elegant than the Plus phones. But — it’s just not.

Couldn’t disagree more. I think the XS Max is the best looking iPhone Apple has ever made. The design is highly refined and mature. I love it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Different strokes. Exchange it for a 8+ . Save some money. Be happy :)

But they are skinny. The X is skinny. I imagine the max is more skinny.

Thin, skinny. Not really surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Monkey

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Didn't notice any of that. I think it's elegant except for the asymmetrical grills at the bottom and I think the notch is ugly (Apple should find a way to get rid of it).

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I think the xs max is just a tad to wide. I hope they make the next one

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014

same thoughts.

many great features and updates but many downsides on the xs max as well. and the rounded edges and notch and the skinny but tall form factor are not pleasing. overall, the xs max still feels not big and wide enough. hoping for a bigger iphone again in the future!

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Remember the notch area is non-useable screen space, there just for the clock and whatnot. Then it’s not so skinny anymore.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
I ordered the XS, but I went to look at the Max in the store today and it was massive. Looks MUCH bigger than in videos and pictures. I like the size of the XS.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I look at it like its a smart phone. How judgemental can we really be on a smart phone, especially when they are all really similar to other competitors on the market. Now, Apple uses some of the best materials when it comes to terms of construction with glass, stainless bands, etc. Compared to where the iPhone was with the previous design to the X, its a world-class difference.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I feel the opposite. I think the Max is the perfect size but that the X is too small and skinny. That's why they have different sizes though. To each his own.

Reactions: 5105973 and i-Liam

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
But the XS and Plus are basically the same form factor. I don't see, where the XS is skinny in comparison?:confused:

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
I don't mind shape and size of the XS Max, but I really dislike the asymmetric speakers and antenna lines at the top/bottom of the phone. Hoping for a better design and back to symmetry next time :confused:

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Use it for a year or two, go back to series 6,7, or 8 plus phones, then come back and start a thread on how those bezels make the screen feel cramped.

This was exactly the same transitional adjustment that happened when I got the 5. I felt like it was gimmicky and looked odd to me then after a few weeks I picked up my 4S and your comment was exactly how I felt.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
The size is fine to me. I’ve been carrying Plus phones since coming to Apple. Nothing different to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.