Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
So I am setting up my Xs Max and it is kind of hot since I first booted it. I was expecting it to be at room temperature. Brightness is set to 100%, could that be it? Or is this normal?

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
It's called indexing and it normal . It can take up to 12 hours depending on how many apps that you have

Reactions: rmoliv

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So I am setting up my Xs Max and it is kind of hot since I first booted it. I was expecting it to be at room temperature. Brightness is set to 100%, could that be it? Or is this normal?

Do you need 100% brightness to see your phone? This uses a lot of power and creates heat. Your phone is stuggling to index and down load needed files and that should make it "warm" not hot.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
#BurningGate
As sais above the phone is setting up for the first time, downloading from iCloud or restoring from a backup. I recommend when you stop the setup process leave it alone and don't touch it so it cools down, if after an hour or two the phone is still hot or becomes hot for no apparent reason then you should report back and send it to Apple for an exchange.

Reactions: rmoliv

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Ok thank you everyone I was getting worried. Will let it alone for a while now that I’m finished setting it up and see what happens. As to the brightness I’ve always used it at max, personal preference, I like the bright and vibrant colors and contrast that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.