Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milleron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
On my 6 Plus with all versions of iOS 12, the communication between the phone and car was perfect with Pandora and Apple Music. Album art and song artist/title always displayed, and I could control the music apps from the car controls. This car, a Tesla Model S does not have Car Play, but always worked perfectly.

I just got a new XS Max, and I can hear the music in the car, BUT there is no album art, no artist name/track title, and the car controls cannot pause/play or advance the track selection. The only way to control the music of Pandora and Apple Music is via the iPhone.

Thinking that a previous pairing with my brand new Apple Watch was allowing external control only via the Watch, I powered it down completely and restarted the music apps and the car. It made NO difference -- still no track information and still no ability to control the playback from the car even though the Bluetooth connection does play the audio output from the iPhone.

I'm not sure what other troubleshooting steps to do.
[doublepost=1537998270][/doublepost]Please disregard. The problem was not with any Apple product. Rather the Media Control Unit in the car had to be rebooted to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.