Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Was just using my Max under sunlight, and it looked really poor. Away from sunlight it looks as a expect, very nice.

But I don't remember the LCD models looking as bad under sunlight, but I might check my old iPhone under sunlight and compare - but the OLED Max doesn't seem great. Even at full brightness it looks just ok.

Is this an OLED issue?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, to be honest I’ve not noticed this. Even yesterday, in Atlanta GA it was VERY bright out. Alas, I could see my device screen without issue.

I will add, I have no screen protector on my device. Never do...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yes LCD can crank up the brightness to the highest level to ensure you can see the screen properly but if OLED screen is exposed to high brightness for a long period then there’s a chance of burn in. That’s why Apple tries to keep the brightness down in harsh sunlit situation.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Yes LCD can crank up the brightness to the highest level to ensure you can see the screen properly but if OLED screen is exposed to high brightness for a long period then there’s a chance of burn in. That’s why Apple tries to keep the brightness down in harsh sunlit situation.

Oh, ok interesting.

So is OLED screen less brighter than the LCD at the highest?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Oh, ok interesting.

So is OLED screen less brighter than the LCD at the highest?

According to the nits measurement it’s not but in practical usage you can’t keep an OLED screen at the highest brightness all the time.

Then it’ll definitely have burn in.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I often commute on above ground transit and watch videos. Ambient light is bright and the shows are dark, so max brightness. I’m favouring lcd more and more.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No problem wearing polarized sunglasses with OLED, where with LCD, it's a mess.
If I remember correctly it was a mess with my iPhone SE and HTC 10’s LCD but I’ve not had a problem with my iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus display.

george999

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
I often sit by the pool with my phone and I could barely make out what was on the screen with my 7+ on full brightness. My max looks soo much better in direct sunlight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.