Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Anyone here changed their screen using a non-Apple display? I googled screen replacement and was given results for lcd panels for the xs max which I thought was super weird. I have a crack on my right side (in the black area of the screen). It doesn’t affect the viewing but it’s there. Also on the screen and body there appears to be something coming out. Maybe the adhesive. It’s bulging a little. Not sure what to do with that. Seeing how the 12 pro max doesn’t particularly excite me I might hand on to this phone another year. I might as well fix this. Plus fast charging negates bad battery life now.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Why not get it done with Apple? Sure it's very expensive but at least it will be done right and you'll retain waterproofing. Better for long term reliability in my opinion. You could get the battery done at the same time and be good for another two years at least. That way you'll be ready to upgrade when the 12s series is out and the bugs and kinks are ironed out.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Yep 100% I'd go apple. A friend of mine did after market and the screen had a horrid blue tint compared to my screen.

Reactions: bchreng

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Never go aftermarket for screen repair.

Had a family member take his sons iPad to a tech shop for a screen repair when he got it back 50 percent of the time tapping on the screen wouldn't work.

Pay that little extra and get it repaired properly at apple.

Reactions: bchreng

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I would personally only use Apple just to maintain some kind of Warranty. The moment the phone is opened Apple will not touch your phone if I remember right (Unless this has changed). I have heard horror stories where part of the screen no longer works or the FaceTime camera no longer works due to damage etc. Be careful and pay the extra from Apple

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I echo the same sentiment as everyone else. If you’re planning to hold on to the device for another couple of years then definitely get it done by Apple.

The bulging thing might be a dodgy battery as well that they can look into.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If you look at oled replacement screens (not lcd) from 3rd party like ifixit they run $350 for the screen alone. Apple charges $329 for the Max screen replacement which includes everything. Most importantly they calibrate the screen for color and if they damage the phone during repair you'll get a replacement which will be "like new". I wouldn't even entertain a LCD replacement for this phone...

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.