Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I’m getting my new iPhone today. I asked the Verizon rep about activating and setup. She said in order to have all my conacts, photos, videos, etc-ec, I had to setup the NEW phone from icloud restore. I wanted to start with a new slate. Question is, is the Verizon rep correct ?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm confused. You said you want to "start with a new slate." That sounds like you don't care about your previous contacts, photos, email, etc. If correct, just set it up by creating a new AppleID.

If you do you want to keep your contacts, photos, and everything else then you will end up putting in your AppleID, either during setup of after. It makes no difference.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I’m getting my new iPhone today. I asked the Verizon rep about activating and setup. She said in order to have all my conacts, photos, videos, etc-ec, I had to setup the NEW phone from icloud restore. I wanted to start with a new slate. Question is, is the Verizon rep correct ?

Correct. It’s not a new slate if you want to bring over items from your prior phone.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

You can start with a ‘new slate’ WTS, unless you want to enter all your contacts in again and import all of your photos you will need to have ‘access’ to them.

Example..
I often DFU my iPhone with an iOS update. That is as fresh as you can get.
My process is that my contacts, calendar and email are all in my Gmail account so I can turn that on and all come in easily.

All of my photos (that I want on my phone) are backed up to Photos-iCloud Photos (not Photostream). When I enable this on the new device my pictures load.
- I also have all of my photos backed up automatically (full size) to Google Photos just in case.

My ‘document’ data is backed up to the iCloud as well.

Basically, I start fresh, enable iCloud data/photos/etc as well as my Gmail account and all that is left is installing my apps. Yes, I have to login to each one.

I think this is a good thing to do occasionally regardless.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I'm confused. You said you want to "start with a new slate." That sounds like you don't care about your previous contacts, photos, email, etc. If correct, just set it up by creating a new AppleID.

If you do you want to keep your contacts, photos, and everything else then you will end up putting in your AppleID, either during setup of after. It makes no difference.
I want to setup the new iPhone as new.

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
Sorry if I ask.
I have all the photos / videos on Google Photo and Google Drive.
If I set up my new iPhone as "new" and enter my current Apple ID will I keep my contacts?
It’s not a problem having to download apps again, losing Whatsapp/iMessage chats nor having to access photos via the Google cloud services.

This is the reason why I do not want to import any backup from the current 8 Plus to the new XS Max.

I'm only interested in setting the new phone as "new" and keeping my contacts in the phonebook.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If you set up the phone with your existing AppleID, you can choose what and what not to sync with iCloud. In your case, turn on contact syncing and turn off everything else.

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
If you don’t use your appleid you might also loose all your purchases. I think getting back the contacts and so on is the best you can do and use the same appleid. If you put on the same apps that’s up to you. So I would go for not restoring and putting in the iCloud id. That brings back contacts, calendar, and so on but no backuped app data and So on. Also no device Settings will come back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.