Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
So a weird occurrence has been happening when I charge my Xs Max. When I set the phone down on the charging pad (Insignia), eventually and during the night, the phone slowly slides off the pad and falls off. I thought maybe my counter was angled lower by one side but I tested out the pad on the flat surface and still slides off. Need to mention that this only happens without a case, does not happen when I have a case on. But there's days when I just want to use the phone naked with no problems but now I have no choice but to use a case permanently. Not sure if this has something to do with the charging pad, the glass back or maybe even possibly.........#GhostGate!!!!!

That last part was a joke btw. Anyone else have a similar problem like this before?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
So a weird occurrence has been happening when I charge my Xs Max. When I set the phone down on the charging pad (Insignia), eventually and during the night, the phone slowly slides off the pad and falls off. I thought maybe my counter was angled lower by one side but I tested out the pad on the flat surface and still slides off. Need to mention that this only happens without a case, does not happen when I have a case on. But there's days when I just want to use the phone naked with no problems but now I have no choice but to use a case permanently. Not sure if this has something to do with the charging pad, the glass back or maybe even possibly.........#GhostGate!!!!!

That last part was a joke btw. Anyone else have a similar problem like this before?
When I used a flat charging pad, it had a rubberized ring to prevent the phone from sliding.
I now use one that the phone stands up. It takes up less space on my night table.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I don’t know the technical explanation of it, but it’s been a fairly common problem. Something to do with a magnetic field I think?

I use Samsung’s wireless charger. So does my fiancé, and so does a friend of mine and his wife. Never had the problem. They have a rubber ring around it to prevent this issue.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I seem to recall another thread on the same exact topic recently. I have the same issue with my Xs Max and Anker wireless charging pad but my phone always has a case on.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Not sure what to make of this, or what to say to the OP... I've been using wireless charging (Mophie) on my iPhone 8+ and, since September, my XS Max... never had it slip off the charger or even move at all, as far as I can tell. It just doesn't happen at my house. BTW, my wife now has my 8+, and she also has never experienced this issue.

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
Wireless charging works by the charger magnetically creating oscillations (e.g. vibrations) to the charger core in your phone which in turn generates electrical current. This is why most wireless charges have a cushion/gripping surface.

Reactions: Waterman316

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Return your charger if you still can. And get a charger with rubber or silicon top (like Anker, which costs $40 or less). Or get a stand-style charger.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Both of the charging pads I use have rubber on the surface. They’re pretty grippy on the phone without a case.
Never had it slip without a case.

One of my chargers (Yootech)the center is raised slightly with a rubber ring in the center the edges are more slick in a sense but the edge doesn’t contact the phone.

My second charger (ZoFine)is flat and the entire surface is rubberized.

77b0aafc84719650774414986aeca5bf.jpg

fa11674eb90e6cc73ff7e6e7920b21eb.jpg

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Good information about how wireless charging works. This is the one I have, I like it and it works fine but just sucks it slides off. I had it for almost a year with no issues until the Max.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I had this happen last year, my solution was to buy a wireless charging stand. I find it much better, FaceID works while docked and the phone doesn’t slip off. I’d link to the one I have, but it’s no longer available on Amazon.

Ayyanchira

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2019

I recorded it!!!

Paz79er

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2021
Wireless chargers create electrical current to charge the phone by pulsing/vibrating the coils in the wireless charging coil in the phone.. most wireless chargers have a rubber finish or a grips to stop phones from sliding off.. the vibrations created are so small they cannot normally be felt but if your phone has a glass back and the charger isn't very grippy then the phone will slide over time.. get a rubber case on the phone to add grip

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My wife quit using her’s, but it’s because her pillow would knock the phone off the pad at night and she doesn’t want to move where she parks it. So she just uses a Lightning cord again. :rolleyes:

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I got this one from Verizon about two years ago. Very secure with the little side guards - never had a phone slide off. I used it to charge an iPhone 11 Pro Max and a Google Pixel 5.
Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 9.33.20 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.