Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Narrowed down my upgrade to either a Samsung s9 or iPhone xs, and the final consideration is the damn storage. Not paying for more than 64 with the xs as £999 is just the absolute maximum I'll pay for a phone. Damn you apple, why not just make a 128gb version for, say, £50 more and I'd break that price ceiling, you'd have a sale of £1049 versus potentially losing one at £999. I know I'm insignificant but just wanted to vent.

Am I likely to need more than 64gb in the next 3 years? My phone use will remain as it is and I'll not be doing anything more so the only thing will be more space required for new and updated apps; on my 6 I currently have 20gb available so do wonder if I need 128 (I use Spotify for music, have 50gb cloud storage for £0.79/month) so can I get away with it? I would prefer an iPhone but I'm veering towards the Samsung due to price and apples contempt for their customers in the way they approach the issue of storage.

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I always say get the most storage you can afford. In 3 years you never know you may be using 4K video once you see how great the quality is or take more pics or possibly want a lot more music stored on your phone u never know . I bought 512Gb. If you dislike apples expensive storage then Samsung may be for you I guess. Personally I prefer OS and I am in the Apple ecosystem so wouldn’t even consider Samsung or any Android type product.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Went from 16 gb for my first iPhones to 256 gb 7Plus and it was a massive upgrade. It’s such a relief being able to take pictures like crazy, download those apps that take up a lot of space and forget about them. music, movies, etc and I haven’t even touched a quarter of the amount of space. it really makes your phone so much more than just a phone. I now have the 256 gb XS Max and I didn’t hesitate because I know 64 is too little and I know how it feels to run out of space and keep getting that pop up message that you’re out of space. I would’ve probably gotten the 128 if they offered it but apple got rid of it. 512 is ridiculous imo unless you mostly shoot video in 4K or something. I have it on my MBP and it’s still not filled.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Went from 16 gb for my first iPhones to 256 gb 7Plus and it was a massive upgrade. It’s such a relief being able to take pictures like crazy, download those apps that take up a lot of space and forget about them. music, movies, etc and I haven’t even touched a quarter of the amount of space. it really makes your phone so much more than just a phone. I now have the 256 gb XS Max and I didn’t hesitate because I know 64 is too little and I know how it feels to run out of space and keep getting that pop up message that you’re out of space. I would’ve probably gotten the 128 if they offered it but apple got rid of it. 512 is ridiculous imo unless you mostly shoot video in 4K or something. I have it on my MBP and it’s still not filled.
I do shoot in 4K but I pay for 200GB iCloud storage and don’t take that many videos. I had 128GB from the 6 plus through to the 7 plus and in the 3 years I only had about 15GB left so I got 256GB for the X. I had it for 9 months before I upgraded to the Max and I always had about 100GB free so I went with 256GB again.

It all depends on the user but I really wouldn’t want to be scrimping on storage especially when I’ve paid so much already for the phone. I want to be able to use it to the maximum and not have to worry.

Mainly it will depend on things like how many photos you have and plan to take. Do you have iCloud storage? Do you have a large music library that you want to store on your phone or are you happy to stream?

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I do shoot in 4K but I pay for 200GB iCloud storage and don’t take that many videos. I had 128GB from the 6 plus through to the 7 plus and in the 3 years I only had about 15GB left so I got 256GB for the X. I had it for 9 months before I upgraded to the Max and I always had about 100GB free so I went with 256GB again.

It all depends on the user but I really wouldn’t want to be scrimping on storage especially when I’ve paid so much already for the phone. I want to be able to use it to the maximum and not have to worry.

Mainly it will depend on things like how many photos you have and plan to take. Do you have iCloud storage? Do you have a large music library that you want to store on your phone or are you happy to stream?
Have 50gb extra cloud storage for £0.79/month which is reasonable. No large music library as I use Spotify. Just can't see what I'll need another 20gb for.
[doublepost=1538419743][/doublepost]
better to have and not need than to need and not have
True, but I can't see what I'll need it for and another £150 for the phone is massively off putting.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Have 50gb extra cloud storage for £0.79/month which is reasonable. No large music library as I use Spotify. Just can't see what I'll need another 20gb for.
True, but I can't see what I'll need it for and another £150 for the phone is massively off putting.
Do you not save music on Spotify? I did and it was using 27GB at one point

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I prefer to carry my data ON THE PHONE and not depend on the cloud.

It is up to you.

Reactions: razmonster

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Do you not save music on Spotify? I did and it was using 27GB at one point
Yeah but usually stream it. As long as 4g or Wi-fi is available I don’t see the need to save it to play.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Yeah but usually stream it. As long as 4g or Wi-fi is available I don’t see the need to save it to play.
I have WiFi and 4G but I still saved pretty much every song I liked, I think mainly because I could lol. I had 128GB.

I did delete the saved music though to see if I could get away with 64GB but I'm not comfortable dropping storage so will likely go 256GB, if I get the XS which is overkill.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I have WiFi and 4G but I still saved pretty much every song I liked, I think mainly because I could lol. I had 128GB.

I did delete the saved music though to see if I could get away with 64GB but I'm not comfortable dropping storage so will likely go 256GB, if I get the XS which is overkill.
YEah makes sense, if the storage is there why not use it? I’d be the same if I had 128. I guess because I have 64 I’m just more conscious of what I’m using so don’t bother saving it. Don’t feel like my life would be enriched much by the extra storage; a nice to have but probably not essential for another £150.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
YEah makes sense, if the storage is there why not use it? I’d be the same if I had 128. I guess because I have 64 I’m just more conscious of what I’m using so don’t bother saving it. Don’t feel like my life would be enriched much by the extra storage; a nice to have but probably not essential for another £150.
I dont disagree, 256GB I won't even use for £150 is not enticing.
But since they didnt offer the 128GB, I dont want to drop in storage.

I could be okay with 64 but like you said I'll have to be conscious and I dont fancy getting to a point where I'm micro managing.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
64GB is absolutely fine for me. I use my camera a lot but have iCloud Photo Library enabled (utterly seamless integration means you barely notice the difference between tapping on a locally stored photo and pulling one from iCloud. I only use streaming for music. iMessages are set to clear after 30 days. I’m currently using 15GB - the only apps I need to manually manage are WhatsApp and Tumblr as both can hog storage if you don’t clean them out every so often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.