Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartyMcFlyin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been a long time Mac user. I'm coming to you for help.

I have an Xserve 2009 (no RAID card) that I was using for my Plex Server, seems like for years now. Don't really use it for anything else other than my SAN/NAS. I did "upgrade" it with the small SSD drive that connects via cable ribbon to the power button circuit board. Can't remember if it's an SSD or not. OS is El Capitan, I think lol, it's been a while since I messed around with it.

The Xserve connects to my Promise VTrak E610f storage array, (3) E610f's (48) drives for a total of ~60TB, RAID 5 on all LUNs. Over the years I've dumped all of my data over to this array. I've been wanting to upgrade my NAS with newer equipment and larger TB drives to reduce current footprint and was literally about to do so this holiday season until this happened....

I leave for a weekend vacation a few weeks ago and shutdown my servers correctly as I always do. When I get back and turn everything back on I notice that my Xserve won't boot past the grey screen and now I can't access my NAS...

I was able to make a bootable copy of El Capitan and install to one of the 3 local drives that the xserve comes with, left those mostly blank since OS was on the added drive. Now able to boot the xserve, I'm not able to see the original OS drive volume.

Is there a way that I can further try to rescue the original OS drive (small SSD)? Given that it uses a cable ribbon it seems difficult. Without being able to restore that OS I'm not sure how to get my Xsan configured back correctly to be able to connect my VTrak array and the xserve recognize it so I can get to my data. Its been a while since I messed around with macOS Server and Xsan that I'm hoping I can get it to see my VTrak array.

Forgot to mention that I did backup a copy of my xserve at one point but don't remember if it was with my newest setup or not. Its on my Time Capsule but wasn't able to get the xserve to recognize it for data migration to see if I can recover the image to the new OS drive.

Shame on me for using old equipment, hard to back up roughly 40TB of data without getting expensive. I guess this is the price I pay.

Main question really is how to get my VTrak array to be recognized/configured in Xsan if I don't remember what hostname I gave it or domain.

Sorry for long write-up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Sounds like the hard drive boot drive went south without you! The long power off could have been it's last straw if I think about it! Seems like you got a CD/DVD boot disk to install Sever back onto a new boot drive! Sorry to bring you bad news!

MartyMcFlyin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2021
Sounds like the hard drive boot drive went south without you! The long power off could have been it's last straw if I think about it! Seems like you got a CD/DVD boot disk to install Sever back onto a new boot drive! Sorry to bring you bad news!
Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea on how the Xsan portion works if the original drive was acting as the metadata controller? I'm assuming if I can still access my VTrak system via mgmt and still see all metadata/data LUN arrays that maybe my data is still there. Just not sure if recreating the Xsan controller will sync up with the already created VTrak volume if that makes sense. I don't want to erase anything on my VTrak just in case data is still intact. Would be nice if Xsan could recognize VTrak volumes automatically when connecting fibre channel. I need to play around with it some more, just hesitant if data is still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.