Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
rjstanford notes that Apple is running a special for registered ADC developers (Select or above) for 25% off the purchase of two or more Xserve / Xserve RAID systems. These discounts don't count against your normal hardware discounts. This special runs until the end of July.

Due to the recent introduction of the G5 PowerMac, many have speculated that Xserve's are next.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It makes sense for the Xserve to move to G5, especially for serving things like dynamic web pages. It'll be good to see this happen.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: Xserve Discounts - Clearance?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Due to the recent introduction of the G5 PowerMac, many have speculated that Xserve's are next.
2GB of RAM max in that Xserve doesn't sound quite so good now that 8GB can be had in the G5... IMO, this was always the biggest limitation of the Xserve... 2GB limit on memory. Servers need lots of RAM.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
G5 xServes at MacWorld Paris, or whatever European city it is in. Mark my words. ( I actually have no idea-just an educated guess.)

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Whats Different

Originally posted by MacAztec
Theres nothing wrong with that, thats just the xServer cluster model from Apple.
But compare it to this cluster image on Apple's website. The Xserves in the post above clearly have more ventilation on front.

fraggle

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2003
Switzerland
Re: Re: Whats Different

Originally posted by ryan
But compare it to this cluster image on Apple's website. The Xserves in the post above clearly have more ventilation on front.
The picture you mention is from a rack of "normal" XServes while the other pictures show a rack of Cluster Nodes. Check a larger pictures on the website, they have only one drive on the left and more room for ventilation.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Re: Re: Whats Different

Originally posted by fraggle
The picture you mention is from a rack of "normal" XServes while the other pictures show a rack of Cluster Nodes. Check a larger pictures on the website, they have only one drive on the left and more room for ventilation.
Ah, interesting, thanks.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
MacRumors CRUSHES Folding@Home Competition

Gee, since the xServes are now "so cheap" why don't we just buy the following for the MacRumors Folding@Home Team?!?

Now THAT should turn out some numbers!!!

Attachments

• designrack_020603.jpg
    designrack_020603.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 616

Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Nononono, you should be buying the first one -- a rack of (mostly) cluster nodes. They have the same processors, but are cheaper because they don't have as much of the other fun stuff.

Get it? :)

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
why are xserve's so expensive ? It is basically a stripped down powermac, so why does it cost more ? I know the design might be a bit more tricky because they have to fit averything into a smaller case, but still...

Anybody knows who is actually buying these machines ?

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by etoiles
why are xserve's so expensive ? It is basically a stripped down powermac, so why does it cost more ? I know the design might be a bit more tricky because they have to fit averything into a smaller case, but still...

Anybody knows who is actually buying these machines ?

Its not actually a stripped down powermac. Fitting 42 powermacs into a 4 square foot space would be an exercise in a) frustration, and b) using your fire extinguisher. In situations where you have a reasonable number of servers, power and heat management becomes much more critical. Maintenance features like the hot-swap drives are nice, if you're not just doing some NAS like the Xserve RAID -- they're not cheap, either. For performance, I don't believe that the older powermacs had independant HD busses, don't come with dual network cards, etc. Much of the extra price is buying you the unlimited-user copy of OS X Server, too.

One thing that annoys me a little about the design is that there's only a single power supply -- I'd be happier with dual redundant ones. Still, that's a pretty minor defect since for high-availability production use people are still opting for the more solid IBMs, HPs, and Suns. Hopefully the next rev of the hardware will bring it up to a real production level. Even if not, with G5s this will make a very nice, very cheap development server.

-Richard

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
ok
my main application being CG I was looking at it as a rendernode rather than a server, I guess. And rendernodes tend to be cheaper than full workstations because you get rid of fancy graphic cards, epansion slots, optical drives etc. and don't need super highspeed networking

I want a rendernode !
(I know, I can always buy a bunch of cheap PC's to do the slavework :p )

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by etoiles
ok
my main application being CG I was looking at it as a rendernode rather than a server, I guess. And rendernodes tend to be cheaper than full workstations because you get rid of fancy graphic cards, epansion slots, optical drives etc. and don't need super highspeed networking
You want the Cluster Node, then. You lose three of the drive bays, and one of the GigE ports, and gain a 2nd processor for the same price as the single processor Xserve. Oh, and your OS drops to 10 user, rather than unlimited (only applies to use as a fileserver, IIRC).

-Richard

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
I can see them putting a G5 in an xserve next. If only they could put a low-powered, less heat version in other coumputers. Then I might be able to afford a computer with a g5.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Imagine the fun of a rack of clustered G5's with the Xcode distributed builds. Whee! I think we'd have a new winner for kernel compile time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.