Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisregentb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Hi, I need an Xserve ASAP! I wanted to create a RAID out of it. The Xserve G5 is not yet out. I figured I would get that, as well as a RAID card and that should do it. Does anyone know if I can create a RAID out of the Xserve G4? How would a software RAID work on that? And if so, a website where I can purchase an Xserve G4 so I can overnight it? I wish I could get the Xserve RAID, but I can't afford it. Any Ideas? Thank You

Chris

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Xserve G4? G5 Not out yet? How long have you been hiding in that cave? ;)

If you are on a budget, I would think any used G5 or new MacPro could function well as a server for your needs of you need space for a RAID array on a budget.

chrisregentb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Yes, The Xserve G5 is on Backorder until October. I need this tommorow. So I was hoping for an Xserve G4 for now and later something better, and I can turn this into a server eventually. Thanks

Chris

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
chrisregentb said:
Hi, I need an Xserve ASAP! I wanted to create a RAID out of it. The Xserve G5 is not yet out. I figured I would get that, as well as a RAID card and that should do it. Does anyone know if I can create a RAID out of the Xserve G4? How would a software RAID work on that? And if so, a website where I can purchase an Xserve G4 so I can overnight it? I wish I could get the Xserve RAID, but I can't afford it. Any Ideas? Thank You

Chris

People like Macs because of the pretty user interface, iLife and so on. But if all you need is a file server there are more cost effective solutions. You can get some really nice PC hardware with dual power supplies and room for many internal drives. Then you install BSD UNIX or Linux or Solaris and you have a better, more expandable system. Mac OX is great but a file servrs will not use the parts that make it great, Under Mac OSX is just "BSD UNIX" and for a server that is the only part you'd use. May as well just get BSD.

Next you should tell us some requirements. How much storage is required, How many computers are using this storage and what is running on them. can you estimate I/O rates? Can you accept any down time? What's your Budget? ..... Just buying whatever is available right now seem a pretty poor way to do your system enginerrng

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.