Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Which if true, means that it will probably be announced at MWSF to ship in Feb or March. Of course, if we are really lucky, we'll get a speed bump for the wait :D .

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by Dippo
I thought I heard that it was going to be a 3U solution?

That was another (arguably silly and unsubstantiated) rumor. Likely someone came up with it because that is about the same size as the PowerMac G5 if you put it on it's side and shoved it in a rack - but there is no way in heck that Apple would do that for the Xserve.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
ouch... that's a long wait. I'm in the need for a new server but this is out of my timeframe.

before a 1U G5 solution was available
You can also read this as "a taller one will be available earlier"...

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
How much could you cram into a 1U?

16 G5's?

4 Infiniband ports?

dual power supplies?

Fiber optic server-to-server connects?

opti-memory modules? (IBM has those)

HDTV custom chips? 4096 line SGI type reality engines?

256 bit support chips (NVidia, Tranmeta,..even gasp..Intel?)

Steve needs to check his wallet...we may have a big "custom characters" list...

WW

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Smaller chips

This would put it into the timeframe for the smaller 90-nm chip size.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
"are we there yet "no", are we there yet? "no" are we there yet? "no"are we there yet? "
You get the picture...These things take time I am sure apple is hard at work on these puppies. Do remember that we have had faster Pmacs than Servers before, but they always get updated. I think we can expect to see them at MWSF. Then again what do I know :(

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
G5 XServes

Okies I have a customer (I work for a education store) that are after some 64-bit rack mount servers... They are hoping that Apple can release the g5 Xserve soon although as they don't exist I can really talk about it.

Just off the record (and just here) I am predicting that it may be announced around end of Jan early March. Poss with another announcement with G5 speed bumped or new ipod but this is just a feeling... My Feeling was right about the new iBook...

maybe I should by an Xserve at home since I am already running 5 macs
eMac
iMac G3
G4 Cube
PB G4 15"
iBook (Clam Shape)

Plus there is my iPod and my good old first mac Performa 580 I use as a mail server. I might sell the Performa on eBay any takers?? :rolleyes:

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I can see it now, I have a home network set up with a G5 Xserve system, 16 G5 processors, Apple flat panel displays in every room.....gasp.....

No, maybe not. No TV's in the bedroom now, ya hear?:p

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
Wow, I thought they'd be out before Christmas.
An announcement at MWSF sounds reasonable then,
hopefully with DT G5 speedbumps, too, and updated displays.

But they need to announce *something* between now and Christmas, right?
Which of the iapps are due for an update?

jlangdale

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2003
If rack mounts were not that far out and were 1U I think that new huge cluster they setup with G5's would have gotten the 'word' and waited. That would have saved $$$ in space big time for their huge cluster.

Jobs might annouce the Xserve G5's but it will probably be stated eariler availability but then not until Q3 of 05 before we actually see it. And if they are going with any kind of Powerbook G5 solution, liquid cooled they might opt to use this in the 1U sleek design Xserve G5's which would delay these with the laptops even more.

Then again, they may just come out with a 5U Xserve G5 just do to it earlier so they can later come out with a 1U version later and get people to drop more money in upgrades.

It's all about turn over.

I think IBM has a prototype of a newer G5 chip specificly for servers maybe without the velocity component?

As far as a Christmass marketing hype, I would bet dollars to donuts we see a G5 campaign with a new 30" brushed LCD to go with the G5. Maybe a bundle deal. Maybe a brush metal colored iBook?

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
IBM fits dual Opterons in a 1U space, so I suspect Apple can do the same considering the current G5 produces less heat than the Opterons. Apple is low-keying the xServe news to not hurt G5 sales until the xServe is actually released. I believe they are doing the same with the G5 Powerbooks. Considering that the iBooks are G4's now and really the 7447 chips are better notebook chips than the 7445s, I believe Apple will release Powerbook G5's sooner than later as well and update the iBooks, eMacs to 7447 processors.

Steviewest

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Don't try this at home...

To anyone considering an XServe in the home...

These things are loud. I'm talking almost vacuum cleaner volume. Ours can be heard from the hall outside our server room.

Think about some soundproofing if you are planning to work or live near it. I've seen some nice soundproofed server cabinets but they aren't cheap.

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
It is true that they are loud.. may be I should just buy a few Dual 2 gigs set them up in a cluster and use them just to run SETI...
By the way a customer came in to work today he did buy a dual 2 gig G5 as he was walking out the door his wife said wheres hers.. so he had to buy her one too.... God it was great... As you may of worked out I am in a Apple Retail Store.. (We just don't sell macs sadly) But I can tell you that macs sales are on the increase..

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by true777
Wow, I thought they'd be out before Christmas.
An announcement at MWSF sounds reasonable then,
hopefully with DT G5 speedbumps, too, and updated displays.

But they need to announce *something* between now and Christmas, right?
Which of the iapps are due for an update?
I wouldn't think a business machine would be pushed out before the holidays. Most compaines I've worked for get real tight this time of year. They want to finalize all sales and cut back on spending.

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
January announce *and* ship. 1U form factor. VERY quiet fan cooling (compared to present Xserve). Single and dual 2.0GHz G5's.

Peace. MW

digitalpoint

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2003
San Diego • USA
I would think they are making it a higher priority since Virginia Tech did their G5 super computer thing and now other companies/universities/government are looking into doing the same...

VA Tech was able to put 24 G5 processors (12 dual processor machines into each rack), so their 1,100 machines took a lot of space (92 racks to be exact).

Dual G5s in a 1U Xserve would give a 84 CPUs per rack density, which could fit into 26 racks.

- Shawn

AppleManEric

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
I would thiknk they're coming soon...

Well, the Xserves haven't been updated for a long time now. Longest out of all of apple's products (correct me if I am wrong here). So that is my two ¢ here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.