Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fozy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
Just started working in an office where my desk is in the server room or the server is my office which ever way you want to look at it. These G5 xServes are way too loud.

The server is just kinda propped up by the printers without any enclosure at all and the only noise reduction cabinets I've found are like $1800 which they will not go for.

Any solutions out there? I'm considering building a cabinet for it but not sure about size and air requirements.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
fozy said:
Just started working in an office where my desk is in the server room or the server is my office which ever way you want to look at it. These G5 xServes are way too loud.

The server is just kinda propped up by the printers without any enclosure at all and the only noise reduction cabinets I've found are like $1800 which they will not go for.

Any solutions out there? I'm considering building a cabinet for it but not sure about size and air requirements.

Not really...they assume that since it is a server, it is going to be in a hot and noisy server room...so more air flow is better...

No one cares about noise in a server room...they do care about things not overheating though. ;)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
fozy said:
is it not even in a rack?

when i installed the XServe / XServe RAID farm at my dad's company, i was working in the main server room (with a few XServes - 7 - only), and never noticed they were overly noisy. we'd moved from PowerEdge 3U servers and they were about the same for noise, but ran a lot hotter.

i'd say, first thing, make sure it's properly mounted - wherever it is it may not be getting the right airflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.