Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ngkrohmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Hello, I recently got an XServe A1246 and am looking to install two 1TB Drives in a RAID in it. The issue that I am having is that neither of the 1TB drives are being recognized when trying to install an OS or looking for them in Disk Utility.

Before I got the two 1TB drives, I had a 500GB drive which is successfully recognized and shows up as an available drive when installing an OS.

I have included pictures which show all 3 drives and the caddies they are in. The 500GB is in the 80GB caddy and the two 1TB are in the 750GB caddies. I have tried swapping around the drives in the caddies, with the 500GB drive working in all 3 caddies and neither of the 1TB drive working in any caddy.

One thing that has worked for the 1TB drives is putting them in a hard drive dock, then plugging the dock into the server via the front USB port. I was able to see, format, and even put the drives in a RAID with Disk Utility using the dock, but even after doing that they wouldn't show up while in the caddies.

I haven't been able to find much information anywhere about what might be causing this other than maybe the caddies not being compatible with the drives, which I'm a little confused on considering the 500GB drive works with the 80GB caddy. Or possibly the speed of whatever SATA the 1TB drives use is too high for the server, or something like that. I read somewhere about using a jumper on some pins on the drive but haven't been able to figure out exactly what pins on my drives are which, or if that's even the issue.

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to trying anything at this point lol. I hope I've given enough information, but I'm happy to provide any info I might have left out. Thanks in advance to any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 51

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
It's been longer than I can remember...but I did find this:

"we were successful in upgrading our xserve to 3 x 2 TB (Raid 5). Our local apple dealer had recommended a hard drive from Western Digital (WDC WD2003FYYS-02W081).

But I'd like to remark that you must set a jumper so that the hard drive can reduce the data transfer rate to 1,5 GB/s.
"

If this is relevant, the ability and process could vary widely by drive model, as you mentioned. Have you found any info at Seagate for the drive models you have?

I found this, but unsure if it is exactly your drive. I see the two have the same model number, but different part numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.