Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlistgarten

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
San Mateo, California
I have an Xserve 3,1 running OS X 10.11.3 and OS X Server 5. I have set up a VPN so I can connect to my home network so I can access files on my server from my Macbook Pro when I'm out and about. However, this has been very slow. At my house I have a download speed of 100Mbps (consistently). I connected to a network with an upload speed of 150Mbps and connected the VPN. I have tried using both finder and rsync. Rsync cut out the finder overhead, but my concern is with the VPN overhead. My maximum file transfer speed was under 80KB/s (<700Kbps). Is there a way I can connect faster to my server? I know that many companies who have VPNs to access intranet use Junos to speed up connections, but I don't see a way of using Junos as an individual, and I probably don't have the technical skills to be able to implement it anyway.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
There's no reason the connection should be that slow, even with Finder. You're right about rsync cutting out the overhead, so the 80KB/sec is surprising.

Are you sure your router has VPN passthrough enabled (on both ends)? A common issue I see with routers that don't allow proper passthrough is extremely slow connections.

nlistgarten

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
San Mateo, California
There's no reason the connection should be that slow, even with Finder. You're right about rsync cutting out the overhead, so the 80KB/sec is surprising.

Are you sure your router has VPN passthrough enabled (on both ends)? A common issue I see with routers that don't allow proper passthrough is extremely slow connections.

My main router is a third or fourth generation (I can't remember which) Time Capsule. I read that Apple routers suck with VPNs. I set the VPN up as it is supposed to be set up, so I assume that passthrough is automatically enabled (considering the VPN server is on my Xserve, not the Time Capsule and it works, though slowly. Could the fact that I'm using a Time Capsule be the problem or is there something I missed?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I'm not familiar with setting up VPNs on Airports, but I never had a problem with my 2nd gen Extreme a few years back... Make sure the connection you're coming from also has VPN passthrough enabled.

Another thing you might want to test is the throughput of your connection without the VPN. I would try hosting a file on your xServe over FTP or HTTP, and then download that file from an outside line. You should expect to see the maximum upload your provider allows. If not, there is something more fundamentally wrong than the VPN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.