Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by ffakr
clustering is essentially a two part proposition.

What I'm waiting for is a real OS Level (Kernel Level) plug and play clustering technology from Apple. Something that can distribute a local thread to any other node designated as a cluster member. Mach should be able to do this, you just need to run code that was written to be highly threaded.

Isn't that what Pooch is? It is a resource not a Kernal element, but given how everything is high bandwith now and the program itself is a resource it seems like a non issue now.

Rocketman

My next desktop Mac will be a cluster and my next portable a 970 Powerbook.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
G5 xserve

Let's hope this is true and it's a relatively quiet machine. As much as I like the tower, it has no rack mounting option. https://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
I like the x serve as it can be rack mounted into my project studio rack, amongst my other synth modules. Since I have no mics in the same room, noise is not a huge issue, but still the quieter the better for monitoring reasons.
I know an xserve G5 is not going to be that quiet, but I can dream can I? https://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
A single 1.8 or dual 1.6 would do the trick for me, I'm no power user, I like my external hardware synths too much to replace them with software.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
1U XServe G5

Apple's primary concern with this won't be:

Will one 1U XServe G5 be more feature rich than a PowerMac G5?

But instead will be:

Will the price/performance ratio and needed features for the XServe's market be enough for it's target audience and still be able to fit it in a 1U?

They may have to offer a 1GHz G5 in single, dual, and cluster configurations. But then beef the architecture up. Use some kick ass blowers and heat syncs. I doubt this product will be quiet. But they will likely have lower prices, especially since the G5 chips themselves are relatively inexpensive.

Thus more people will opt for the Cluster options, and fill up a 42 U Rack, and have all the power they need. More than before, that is.

Either way, it's still G5, and when Panther server ships, it will be all the sweeter.

Jaedreth

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Re: 1U XServe G5

Originally posted by jaedreth
But instead will be:

Will the price/performance ratio and needed features for the XServe's market be enough for it's target audience and still be able to fit it in a 1U?
price/performance typically isn't in the favor of 1U rack servers. You can always buy a desktop for less than a similar rack. The case its self costs more usually.. then there is the engineering to get everything to fit.
You don't buy 1U racks for price/performance. You buy them for computational density and for redundancy.
You can't fit 42 desktops into the area of 1 - 7ft rack, and your typical desktop machine doesn't have redundant power or hardware raid (w/ hot swap) built in. (*note.. xServe doesn't have redundant power, but a lot of rack units do)

They may have to offer a 1GHz G5 in single, dual, and cluster configurations. But then beef the architecture up. Use some kick ass blowers and heat syncs. I doubt this product will be quiet. But they will likely have lower prices, especially since the G5 chips themselves are relatively inexpensive.

Thus more people will opt for the Cluster options, and fill up a 42 U Rack, and have all the power they need. More than before, that is.

I don't think that Apple will have a lot of trouble putting the G5 in a 1U. They have the ability to push a lot more air through since rack units don't have to sit on your desktop and and be quiet.
Remember, the G5s are putting out heat in the same range as the current G4s, which is a lot less than the heat given off by Athlon, P4, or Opteron (and all those chips have tons of 2cpu 1U solutions available).
The xServe G5 will have to be significantly redesigned though. A dual G5 board in a 1U will be severely marginalized if it doesn't ship with a gaggle of DIMM slots. People are going to want to take advantage of large memory spaces in the server segment (much more than on the desktop IMHO). I think Apple's biggest design concern will be where to put it all... not how to cool it.

JMHO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.